[MARMAM] Ocean Sciences top predator session

Mark Baumgartner Mbaumgartner at whoi.edu
Thu Aug 1 13:20:31 PDT 2019

Dear Colleagues,

The 2020 Ocean Sciences Meeting <https://www2.agu.org/ocean-sciences-meeting/> will take place 16-21 February 2020 in San Diego, California.  The meeting is an important venue for scientific exchange across broad marine science disciplines, with sessions on all aspects of oceanography.  We would like to call your attention to a session <https://agu.confex.com/agu/osm20/prelim.cgi/Session/74850> we will be chairing entitled "Advances in the ecology, behavior, physiology, or conservation of marine top predators" (ME001). This session has been convened at the Ocean Sciences meetings since 2010, and it provides a wonderful opportunity for researchers studying a variety of taxa (including marine mammals, seabirds, sea turtles, and fish) to meet, exchange ideas, and explore commonalities in research methods, scientific questions, and conservation efforts.  Please consider submitting an abstract <https://agu.confex.com/agu/osm20/prelim.cgi/Session/74850> and attending the meeting.  Abstracts are due by 11 September 2019.  More information on the session is below.

Mark Baumgartner, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, mbaumgartner at whoi.edu <mailto:mbaumgartner at whoi.edu>
Daniel Palacios, Oregon State University, daniel.palacios at oregonstate.edu <mailto:daniel.palacios at oregonstate.edu>

Topic:  Marine Ecology and Biodiversity
Title:  Advances in the ecology, behavior, physiology, or conservation of marine top predators
Session ID:  ME001

Session Description:
Top predators are a vital part of the marine ecosystem, and as such, their ecology, behavior and physiology can influence important processes such as trophic interactions, carbon flow, and nutrient recycling. Virtually all top predators have a history of over-exploitation or they have special management status because of their sensitivity to marine industrial activities and other human uses (e.g., bycatch, shipping, resource exploration/extraction). Basic research on top predators often focuses on gaps in our understanding of their ecology, but unlike many other branches of biological oceanography, research can also be motivated directly by management and conservation needs. This session will focus on studies of the ecology, behavior, and physiology of marine top predators that either advance our scientific understanding or support the conservation of these important taxa. Because Ocean Sciences provides a unique forum for marine ecologists, marine biologists, and oceanographers to interact, we seek contributions from researchers studying a wide variety of taxa, including fish, squid, reptiles, seabirds, and marine mammals, from anywhere in the world's oceans.