[MARMAM] New publication: Unsuccessful parturition of a southern right whale at Peninsula Valdes, Argentina

Mariano Sironi mariano.sironi at icb.org.ar
Mon Apr 15 09:52:27 PDT 2019

Dear MARMAM community,

My co-authors and I are pleased to share our recent publication in Marine
Mammal Science entitled First record of an unsuccessful parturition of a
southern right whale (Eubalaena australis) at Península Valdés, Argentina

Sironi M., Marón C., Pettite, L., Guevara, J., Martorell J.P., Rowntree V.
2019. First record of an unsuccessful parturition of a southern right whale
(Eubalaena australis) at Península Valdés, Argentina. Marine Mammal Science.
doi: <https://doi.org/10.1111/mms.12594> https://doi.org/10.1111/mms.12594

We report a likely unsuccessful parturition of a southern right whale at
Península Valdés, Argentina. Observations were made during a whale watch
trip. During labor, the calf’s tailstock emerged from its mother, but later
most of its body returned back inside. The calf did not move and the
mother´s behavior could be described as unusual. The cow was later seen
alone and then, in a mating group. We presume her calf was born dead or died
shortly after birth. This is the first known observation of an apparent
unsuccessful birth in a mysticete species in the wild.

The paper can be accessed here:
<https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/mms.12594>
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/mms.12594

Kind regards,

Dr. Mariano Sironi

Scientific Director
Instituto de Conservación de Ballenas – Argentina

 <http://www.ballenas.org.ar> www.ballenas.org.ar

---