[MARMAM] Announcement of new publication

Eva Maria Leunissen eva.leunissen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 15:09:48 PDT 2019

Dear MARMAM community,

On behalf of my co-authors, I'm pleased to announce the publication of
our article:

Impact of pile-driving on Hector's dolphin in Lyttelton Harbour, New Zealand

Eva M. Leunissen, William J. Rayment and Stephen M. Dawson. Marine
Pollution Bulletin, Volume 142, 31-42

Abstract

Several dolphin species occur close inshore and in harbours, where
underwater noise generated by pile-driving used in wharf construction
may constitute an important impact. Such impacts are likely to be
greatest on species such as the endangered Hector's dolphin
(*Cephalorhynchus hectori*), which has small home ranges and uses this
habitat type routinely. Using automated echolocation detectors in
Lyttelton Harbour (New Zealand), we studied the distribution of
Hector's dolphins using a gradient sampling design over 92 days within
which pile-driving occurred on 46 days. During piling operations,
dolphin positive minutes per day decreased at the detector closest to
the piling but increased at the mid-harbour detector. Finer-grained
analyses showed that close to the piling operation, detections
decreased with increasing sound exposure level, that longer piling
events were associated with longer reductions in detections, and that
effects were long-lasting - detection rates took up to 83 h to return
to pre-piling levels.

The full article, is available at
https://authors.elsevier.com/a/1Yjxk,ashtxHy

To request a PDF copy, please email me at eva.leunissen at gmail.com

Cheers,

Eva Leunissen
Department of Marine Science, University of Otago

Dunedin, New Zealand