[MARMAM] New publication: Behavioural and pathological insights into a case of active cannibalism by a grey seal (Halichoerus grypus) on Helgoland, Germany.

van Neer, Abbo Abbo.van.Neer at tiho-hannover.de
Wed Apr 3 08:20:20 PDT 2019

Dear MARMAM community,
on behalf of all authors, I would like to announce the publication of our new paper describing a case of active cannibalism by a grey seal  including details on the behaviour as well as pathology.

van Neer, A., Gross, S., Kesselring, T., Wohlsein, P., Leitzen, E., & Siebert, U. (2019)
Behavioural and pathological insights into a case of active cannibalism by a grey seal (Halichoerus grypus) on Helgoland, Germany. Journal of Sea Research, 148–149, 12–16.
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seares.2019.03.004

Abstract:
First reports on cases of grey seal predation on other marine mammals from different parts of Europe have been published in recent years, but few cases provide sufficient detail. Here we report a case of active cannibalism by a grey seal, which has been witnessed and recorded in detail on the German island of Helgoland, describing particular behavioural aspects and lesions. In March 2018, a subadult male grey seal was observed catching, killing and feeding extensively from a juvenile grey seal. The carcass showed severe cutaneous lacerations, starting in the head region and following around the trunk in a circular pattern. These results are discussed with regard to the previously reported cases to form a solid knowledge base for retrospective and future assessments of carcasses potentially subjected to grey seal predation. The correct assignment of predated seals is important to determine the potential influence this behaviour may have on seal populations.

As this publication is open access, just follow the link below for a copy:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1385110118303368

If you have any questions, please feel free to get in touch with us.

All the best on behalf of all authors

Abbo van Neer

Abbo van Neer
University of Veterinary Medicine Hannover, Foundation
Institute for Terrestrial and Aquatic Wildlife Research (ITAW)
Werftstr. 6
25761 Büsum
Germany

☏ +49  5 11 - 8 56 - 81 62
Fax: +49  5 11 - 8 56 - 81 81
abbo.van.neer at tiho-hannover.de<mailto:abbo.van.neer at tiho-hannover.de>
https://www.tiho-hannover.de/itaw

SAVE FORESTS - Please do not print this e-mail unless absolutely necessary