[MARMAM] Volunteer is needed for sperm whale and beaked whale survey in the Eastern Mediterranean Sea (16th-23th October 2018)

aylin akkaya akkayaaylin at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 27 02:17:23 PDT 2018

OverviewMarine Mammals Research Association (www.dmad.org.tr) offers one place for a volunteer in its expedition where you will be part of a groundbreaking scientific research effort. The expedition aims to explore areas where there is little known. Not only you will get hand on experience on visual and acoustic monitoring but also you may have unforgettable close encounters with these magnificent creatures.
DestinationThe expedition covers the coastal and offshore waters of  Eastern Mediterranean Sea between Antalya, Marmaris and Rhodes Island (excluding the greek waters).
The Expedition CalendarThese scientific expeditions are a part of a year round study and this one will be conducted between 16th and 23th October 2018. The surveys will be 24 hours (days and nights) for each day with a rota.
Species to EncounterOn this trip we are likely to encounter a variety of marine mammals, including the common bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops truncatus), striped dolphin (Stenella coeruleoalba), short-beaked common dolphin(Delphinus delphis), Risso’s dolphin (Grampus griseus), sperm whale (Physeter microcephalus),Cuvier’s beaked whale (Ziphius cavirostris) and fin whale (Balaenoptera physalus), in addition to the Mediterranean’s only pinniped species, the endangered Mediterranean monk seal (Monachus monachus). Moreover, as our study areas are largely unexplored, there is the potential to discover other cetacean species which are rarely found in the Mediterranean basin such as Humpback Whales(Megaptera novaeangliae)!
The Skills You Will Learn;·         Conducting visual and acoustic surveys·         PAM operation
·         Collecting behavioural data for sighted species·         Photo-identification
One of the objectives of our expedition is to help create and inspire independent researchers, equipped with experience in up-to-date research techniques. The Training You Will Receive;There will be a day of training before the survey route starts;·         Data collection protocol·         Species identification·         Photo identification techniques·         PAM operation·         Logger 2010 software
·         Behavioural sampling
The costAs we are a non-profit organisation with limited financial resources, there is a monitory fee attached to this journey, which directly goes to boat rent. The cost is EUR 500 per person.
This cost includes:·         Full survey and equipment training·         Use of research equipment·         Accommodation and meals on board for the duration of your stay·         All safety equipment·         All cruising and sailing permits for Turkey
What is not included?·         Flights to and from start and end location·         Travel insurance (Mandatory, please provide proof)·         Accommodations onshore
What you should bring:·         Passport with any necessary visas for the countries you will be visiting·         Sleeping bag·         Towel·         Binoculars·         Seasonal appropriate clothing, including waterproofs·         Camera·         Sea sickness medication
Who are we looking for?We are looking for enthusiastic and passionate team members with the willingness to learn, as well as motivated students and researchers who wish to collect data for their university projects.
Essentials;· A strong passion for marine mammals, and a desire to protect the Mediterranean marine environment· Excellent team work and communication skills· Fluency in English· The ability to live and work long hours on a boat in all weathers for consecutive days· Willingness to help with the ongoing duties on-board including cleaning, maintenance, sailing, and cooking.· A positive and proactive attitudeTo apply send us your CV and cover letter to: info at dmad.org.tr and akkayaaylinn at gmail.com before 5th of October 2018.

WE HOPE TO SEE YOU ON BOARD SOON