[MARMAM] New publication on cooperation in bottlenose dolphins

Kelly Jaakkola kelly at dolphins.org
Wed Sep 19 06:50:09 PDT 2018

Dear All,

We are pleased to announce our new publication:

Jaakkola K, Guarino E, Donegan K, King SL. 2018 Bottlenose dolphins can
understand their partner’s role in a cooperative task. Proc. R. Soc. B
285: 20180948. http://dx.doi.org/10.1098/rspb.2018.0948

Abstract:

In recent decades, a number of studies have examined whether various
non-human animals understand their partner's role in cooperative
situations. Yet the relatively tolerant timing requirements of these
tasks make it theoretically possible for animals to succeed by using
simple behavioural strategies rather than by jointly intended
coordination. Here we investigated whether bottlenose dolphins could
understand a cooperative partner's role by testing whether they could
learn a button-pressing task requiring precise behavioural
synchronization. Specifically, members of cooperative dyads were
required to swim across a lagoon and each press their own underwater
button simultaneously (within a 1 s time window), whether sent together
or with a delay between partners of 1–20 s. We found that dolphins were
able to work together with extreme precision even when they had to wait
for their partner, and that their coordination improved over the course
of the study, with the time between button presses in the latter trials
averaging 370 ms. These findings show that bottlenose dolphins can learn
to understand their partner's role in a cooperative situation, and
suggest that the behavioural synchronization evident in wild dolphins'
synchronous movement and coordinated alliance displays may be a
generalized cognitive ability that can also be used to solve novel
cooperative tasks.

The paper is open access and can be found here:
http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/285/1887/20180948

Cheers,
-- Kelly
/
Kelly Jaakkola, PhD
Director of Research, Dolphin Research Center
Chair, Scientific Advisory Committee, Alliance of Marine Mammal Parks
and Aquariums/
/kelly at dolphins.org/