[MARMAM] New gray whale acoustics paper

burnhamr at uvic.ca burnhamr at uvic.ca
Tue Sep 18 11:44:55 PDT 2018

My colleagues and I are pleased to announce the publication of the paper

Burnham, R.E, Duffus, D.A, Mouy, X. 2018. Gray Whale (Eschrictius
robustus) Call Types Recorded During Migration off the West Coast of
Vancouver Island.
Frontiers in Marine Science, https://doi.org/10.3389/fmars.2018.00329

Abstract
Gray whale (Eschrichtius robustus) vocalizing behavior varies over its
range, both in call type and frequency. This study adds to the growing
body of passive acoustic research outside of the calving/breeding lagoons,
and moves toward a description of calling behaviors throughout the whales'
range. Data are presented here from acoustic surveys for two northward and
one southward migration, with recordings taken off the west coast of
Vancouver Island. We found gray whales to be highly sonorous, with
extensive calling during the study periods of February to May for
northward migrations and September to the end of January for southward
travel. Low frequency moans were the most prevalent call type, with
others, including knocks, up- and down sweeps, and rumbles, recorded in
varying numbers. We hypothesize that calling is an aid for navigation and
orientation of the herd along the migration route, in addition to holding
more social functions usually assigned to baleen whale calling.

The paper is open access and can be found here:
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmars.2018.00329/full?&utm_source=Email_to_authors_&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=T1_11.5e1_author&utm_campaign=Email_publication&field=&journalName=Frontiers_in_Marine_Science&id=379541#h9

Rianna Burnham
Whale Research Lab, UVic