[MARMAM] New article of foreign body ingestion in stranded cetaceans, Canary Islands

RAQUEL PUIG LOZANO raquelpuiglozano at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 03:05:39 PDT 2018

Greetings MARMAM,

My colleagues and I are pleased to announce the publication of our newest
article on the ingestión of foreign bodies (marine debris) in stranded
cetaceans in the Canary Islands titled *“Retrospective study of foreign
body-associated pathology in stranded cetaceans, Canary Islands
(2000-2015)”* in *Environmental Pollution 243 (2018)
519-527https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2018.09.012
<https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2018.09.012>*

The article is open access and free to download below:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0269749118318785

R. Puig-Lozano, Y. Bernaldo de Quirós, J. Díaz-Delgado, N. García-Álvarez,
E. Sierra, J. De la Fuente, S. Sacchini, CM. Suárez-Santana, D. Zucca, N.
Câmara, P. Saavedra, J. Almunia,  M.A. Rivero, A. Fernández, M. Arbelo.

Abstract:

Marine pollution, overrepresented by plastic, is a growing concern
worldwide. However, there is little knowledge on occurrence and detrimental
impacts of marine debris in cetaceans. To partially fill in this gap of
knowledge, we aimed to investigate the occurrence and pathologies
associated with foreign bodies (FBs) in a large cohort of cetaceans (n=465)
stranded in the Canary Islands. The Canary Islands shelter the greatest
cetacean biodiversity in Europe, with up to 30 different species, of which
nine are regularly present year around. We found at least one ingested FB
in 36 out of 465 (7.74%) studied cetaceans, involving 15 different species,
including eight out of the nine (80%) cetacean species present

year-round in the Canary Islands. Risso's dolphin was the species most
affected, followed by sperm whale, beaked whale and mysticetes. Plastic FB
were the most common item found (80.56%). FB was directly associated with
death in 13/36 (36.11%) animals. Poor body condition and deep diving
behavior were found to be risk factors for FB ingestion, whereas the adult
age was a protective factor. To the authors knowledge this is the first
study that use statistical analysis to investigate risk and protective
factors for FB ingestion. This study also provides insights of the
potential impact caused by ingested FBs on the animal's health and
mortality. This knowledge is critical to better understand and assess the
impact of FB in cetaceans setting the scientific basis for prospective
impact monitoring and future conservation policies.

Kind regards,

Raquel Puig Lozano and Yara Bernaldo de Quirós.

*Raquel Puig Lozano*

*Centro Atlántico de Investigación de Cetáceos,*
*Instituto Universitario de Sanidad Animal y Seguridad Alimentaria,*
*Facultad de Veterinaria. Universidad de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria.*

*Campus Universitario Cardones de Arucas,*
*35413 Arucas, Gran Canaria*
*España*
*Teléfono de contacto: 616150322.*