[MARMAM] Research Internships and long term Volunteer placements with Sea Search and the Namibian Dolphin Project

Erin Church - Sea Search Research and Conservation sea.research.conservation at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 05:21:18 PDT 2018

Sea Search Research and Conservation is offering the opportunity for
interested students and young researchers to join our projects to get real
work experience working with an active research group on our projects in
Southern Africa. Currently, there are several research internships and
long-term volunteer placements available with Sea Search Research and
Conservation and the Namibian Dolphin Project.

The internships are research focused with an emphasis on learning (and
using) field skills used in cetacean research such as photo-ID, acoustic
and behavioural data collection, strandings response as well as data
management and teamwork. There is also a component of outreach work in all
projects. Interns will work closely with the project leaders Dr Tess
Gridley and Dr Simon Elwen. We are open to students using data collected
during internships for student projects.

Three types of opportunity are available at different times of year:

1) Long-term volunteer at Sea Search offices - Cape Town, South Africa - 2
months minimum - Oct 2018 to May 2019 - mix of office/analytical/data
processing/outreach and fieldwork. Fieldwork covering multiple species,
with a special focus on feeding humpback whales on the west coast over
autumn and summer.

2) Long-term volunteer at the Namibian Dolphin Project office in Walvis Bay
Namibia - 2 months minimum - Oct 2018 to May 2019 - - mix of
office/outreach and fieldwork. Research focuses on bottlenose and
Heaviside's dolphins, strandings response, outreach with schools, data
collection from tour boats and assisting with ~2-4 boat surveys /month

3) Field intensive training internships at the Namibian Dolphin Project in
Walvis Bay Namibia - 1 month minimum - Jun 2019 to Aug 2019. Interns will
assist the research team during our main fieldwork period with daily field
work on a range of topics. There is a strong field skills training
component during this time.

There is a cost associated with each internship to help cover training,
accommodation etc.

For more information, download our new brochure here!
http://seasearch.co.za/training/.

PLEASE CONTACT info at seasearch.co.za for FURTHER DETAILS regarding
application. Please include your CV, availability and a brief motivation of
the interest.

More information can be found on the Namibian Dolphin Project (Namibia) and
our umbrella organisation Sea Search Research and Conservation (South
Africa) by following these links (www.namibiandolphinproject.org
<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.namibiandolphinproject.org%2F&h=AT1reUwWKMt6dlvXtszoyCgZhNWOCeVLCoAc9H_H7ct0o06wyg3rJhAGonFFXBAwzdwKkJICmcQjRpNsmz_rvnphYASaedy0QIXdCcks3e8uMW0HYMnW_Upf1JuO0D0cdmGIf64vnus14sMMYq1oF3f25ai1oij5Z2uRbc2DwGmFUDlMljB9unOpWdaia1GeLJrolxBFnkJ2se6b5WVu2NV9rxhtLNsvV8ViiheuZaXWzOs23Vgye0BkfoWvCkPiwcVBK7Y2IwD-8oWrWtDELaOe3Pwc-Lm9d74vJyvFbJVqpzGwvA5Roa1FbY9gvVh6-smUWOYsjMuLVjHvb3Sf7APs08MzLMKgjIjTN_90CPKegIFyS1_mIT_hAioMVBnuormKcT7afJMj9jWEOSCH136WPv5uh5E>
, www.seasearch.co.za
<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.seasearch.co.za%2F&h=AT0dVj3HsN6Lq0CjRhAyQjh4EShc1od9YFxArWmWuwMYcemkD_GQKLOg_79wjjaaPkQn1PrLh32Y9N6kRaybkxaLgMqnNt-kYt5_u2JGlTw4yrAVEbK5nT8ekfQz0eWULFsbowtHxuynangNbiJf1yjgts7Dxt6NUYrYOrT-hzTLM2J-lEMMlHLTGmM8XKWitWzIXTir05jqGdiV1v_W3gWdKkPVeC80_d_E-ogqfKChSneiKnodOz4v3cxtUFDhIKNg9vqmSe3PlqN5tWLG9sHylLJtkGCaYG0kwBm_aapf11wLsYa2bcSGBW3I9wzRMObrUljt9gULrIaWsi_2Z0cJgIVyD8EDdFKlI9Cs-78ezMhrmq1qa-sxwZeOIJ3_YbFrGO8m13Cl4A9bJ2g5YhKMakPSBC0>
)

With thanks,
*The Sea Search Team*

Sea Search Research and Conservation