[MARMAM] New publication: Bio-telemetry as an essential tool in movement ecology and marine conservation

Dominik Nachtsheim d.nachtsheim at outlook.de
Tue Sep 4 09:45:36 PDT 2018

Dear MARMAM readers,

my colleague and I are happy to announce the following new publication, published as a book chapter with Springer:

Heylen, B. C., & Nachtsheim, D. A. (2018). Bio-telemetry as an Essential Tool in Movement Ecology and Marine Conservation. In YOUMARES 8–Oceans Across Boundaries: Learning from each other (pp. 83-107). Springer, Cham.

Abstract

Marine top predators represent an essential part of marine ecosystems. They are generally regarded as “sentinels of the sea” since their presence reflects high biological productivity. However, many populations are experiencing dramatic declines attributed to various human-induced threats (e.g., pollution, climate change, overfishing), highlighting the need for effective conservation. In this review, we show that bio-telemetry can be an essential tool, not only to improve knowledge about the animals’ ecology, but also for conservation purposes. As such, we will first discuss the most important state-of-the-art devices (e.g., time-depth recorders, accelerometers, satellite tags) and illustrate how they can improve our understanding of movement ecology. We will then examine the challenges and ethical issues related to bio-telemetry, and lastly, demonstrate its enormous value in resolving present and future conservation issues.

This review has been published by Springer along with the proceedings of an international conference for young marine researchers (YOUMARES), which took place last year in Kiel, Germany. All session hosts were asked to contribute a review on a relevant topic within the range of their session's subject. Following our research interests and own field experiences we focussed on bio-telemetry and demonstrated its usefulness for studying movement ecology and advancing top predator (marine mammals, seabirds, elasmobranchs and large teleosts) conservation. The chapter as well as the whole book are available Open Access here: https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-93284-2_7

Best regards,

Dominik Nachtsheim & Brigitte Heylen

---

Dominik A. Nachtsheim, M.Sc.
University of Veterinary Medicine Hannover, Foundation
Institute for Terrestrial and Aquatic Wildlife Research (ITAW)
Werftstr. 6
25761 Büsum
Germany

Dominik.Nachtsheim at tiho-hannover.de