[MARMAM] New Publication FUNCTIONAL SUBDIVISION OF THE VERTEBRAL COLUMN IN FOUR SOUTH AMERICAN DOLPHINS (Mastozoologia Neotropical)

María Constanza Marchesi marchesimc at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 13:03:41 PDT 2018

Dear Colleagues,

My coauthors and I are very pleased to announce the online publication of our paper in Mastozoología Neotropical entitled: FUNCTIONAL SUBDIVISION OF THE VERTEBRAL COLUMN IN FOUR SOUTH AMERICAN DOLPHINS by M.C. Marchesi, M. S. Mora, E. A. Crespo, C. Boy, R. González-José and R.N.P Goodall, doi.org/10.31687/saremMN.18.25.2.0.12

ABSTRACT. Description and functional interpretation of morphological variation in the dolphin column can be facilitated by recognizing structural units. This information offers important clues to the proportion of the column involved in the oscillation and displacement of the ukes, and how swimming style can vary among species. Thus, the morphological characterization and functional subdivision of the vertebral column is of key importance to gain insights into the locomotor performance of cetacean species occurring in di erent environ- ments. We employed traditional morphometrics to establish the functional subdivision of the vertebral column of Commerson’s dolphin (Cephalorhynchus commersonii), a coastal species, and the dusky dolphin (Lagenorhynchus obscurus), a shelf species. These species are closely related, and some of them are partially sympatric. We also compared the obtained results against information previously reported by Marchesi et al (2017) on Peale’s dolphin (Lagenorhynchus australis), a coastal species, and the hourglass dolphin (Lagenorhynchus cruciger), an oceanic species. These results bring further support to our hypothesis that coastal species have morphological traits associated with higher flexibility, whilst platform and oceanic species have features associated with higher stability in a greater proportion of their column.

You can access the article at: http://www.sarem.org.ar/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/SAREM_MastNeotrop_en-prensa_Marchesi.pdf

You can request a pdf copy by emailing me: marchesimc at gmail.com

Regards,

Lic. María Constanza Marchesi
Doctoral Fellow, Laboratorio de Mamíferos Marinos, Centro para el Estudio de los Sistemas Marinos (CESIMAR, CENPAT-CONICET), Puerto Madryn, Argentina
Lic. María Constanza Marchesi
Becaria Doctoral/Doctoral Fellow

Laboratorio de Mamíferos Marinos (LAMAMA)
Centro para el Estudio de los Sistemas Marinos (CESIMAR)
CCT CENPAT-CONICET
Blvd. Brown 2915
U9120ACD Puerto Madryn, Chubut, Argentina

Research Gate Profile: www.researchgate.net/profile/Maria_Constanza_Marchesi