[MARMAM] New Publication: Mitogenomic structure in spinner and pantropical spotted dolphins from the eastern tropical Pacific

Matt Leslie matt.s.leslie at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 12:46:29 PDT 2018

Dear Colleagues,

On behalf of my coauthors I would like to announce the publication of the
following research article online in Marine Mammal Science:
<https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/mms.12545>

Leslie, M. S., Archer, F. I. and Morin, P. A. (2018), Mitogenomic
differentiation in spinner (*Stenella longirostris*) and pantropical
spotted dolphins (*S. attenuata*) from the eastern tropical Pacific Ocean.
Mar. Mam. Sci.. . doi:10.1111/mms.12545 <https://doi.org/10.1111/mms.12545>

Abstract: Spinner dolphins (*Stenella longirostris*) and pantropical
spotted dolphins (*S. attenuata*) show high intraspecific morphological
diversity and endemic subspecies in the eastern tropical Pacific Ocean
(ETP). Previous studies of mitochondrial DNA have found low genetic
differentiation among most of these groups, possibly due to demographic
factors, ongoing gene flow, and/or recent divergence. These species were
heavily depleted due to bycatch in the ETP yellowfin tuna fishery. Because
understanding population structure is important for accurate management of
the recovery of these species, we collected whole mitochondrial genome
sequences from 104 spinner and 76 spotted dolphins to test structure
hypotheses at multiple hierarchical taxonomic levels. Results show
differences between subspecies of spinner and spotted dolphins, but no
support for the division of existing offshore stocks of spotted dolphins.
We compare these results to previous results of genome‐wide nuclear SNP
data and suggest high haplotype diversity, female dispersal, and/or
relative power of the two data sets explains the differences observed.
Interestingly, increasing the amount of mitochondrial data (base pairs and
genes) did not increase ability to delimit population units. This study
supports a genetic basis for management units at the subspecies level, and
provides critical information for mitigating historical and continued
fisheries impacts.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/mms.12545

Please contact me directly if you would like a copy of the manuscript: <
matt.s.leslie at gmail.com>

Have a wonderful week!

All the Best,

Matt