[MARMAM] New Publication: High latitude winter sightings of common minke whale calves (Balaenoptera acutorostrata) in the Northeast Atlantic

Kavanagh, Ailbhe ailbhe.kavanagh at ucc.ie
Thu Oct 18 05:30:41 PDT 2018

Dear MARMAM-Users,

We are pleased to announce the following publication in Marine Biodiversity Records: " High latitude winter sightings of common minke whale calves (Balaenoptera acutorostrata) in the Northeast Atlantic”

Kavanagh AS, Kett G, Richardson N, Rogan E, Jessopp MJ. High latitude winter sightings of common minke whale calves (Balaenoptera acutorostrata) in the Northeast Atlantic. Marine Biodiversity Records. 2018;11(1):22. https://doi.org/10.1186/s41200-018-0157-y

Abstract:
Although common minke whales occur in relatively high numbers in the North Atlantic, relatively little is known about their seasonal movements or the location of their breeding and calving grounds. This lack of knowledge compromises our ability to protect potentially important areas for this species. Here we report high latitude winter sightings of unweaned minke whale calves recorded in offshore waters in the Northeast Atlantic. We discuss how such sightings may contribute to our understanding of the winter distribution and movements of this species; raising the possibility that a proportion of the population may over-winter at high latitudes in offshore waters, and that calving may occasionally occur in the warm North Atlantic Drift waters of western Europe’s continental shelf.

The article is open access and available online:
https://mbr.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s41200-018-0157-y

For any questions do not hesitate to contact me at: ailbheskabvanagh at gmail.com<mailto:ailbheskabvanagh at gmail.com>
Dr Ailbhe Kavanagh
Post Doctoral Researcher
MaREI Centre for Marine and Renewable Energy
Environmental Research Institute
Beaufort Building
University College Cork
Haulbowline Rd | Ringaskiddy