[MARMAM] New paper: "Movement patterns of humpback whales (Megaptera novaeangliae) reoccupying a Brazilian breeding ground"

Maria Isabel Gonçalves misabelcgoncalves at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 07:10:47 PDT 2018

Dear all,

On behalf of my co-authors, I would like to inform you about the
publication of our recent paper:

Movement patterns of humpback whales (*Megaptera novaeangliae*) reoccupying
a Brazilian breeding ground. Gonçalves, M.I.C, Sousa-Lima, R.S., Teixeira,
N.N., Carvalho, G.H., Danilewicz, D., Baumgarten, J.E. Biota Neotropica
18(4): e20180567, 2018

Abstract: The population of humpback whales from breeding stock A is
increasing, and little is known about the routes used by humpbacks that
move north of the main calving area of Brazil, the Abrolhos Bank. The aim
of this study was to describe the movements of humpback whales in a
reoccupation wintering area (Serra Grande, Bahia state, Brazil) based on
land-based surveys to test if movement patterns change during the season
and between years, due to group composition, behavioral state, and distance
to the coast. The mean leg speed of the groups sighted was 6.88 (±2.92)
km/h, and leg speed was positively correlated with distance to the coast.
There was an increase in leg speed and distance to the coast with
increasing number of escorts in the groups with calves. The mean linearity
value for group trajectory was 0.81 (±0.19) and the mean reorientation rate
was 25.72 (±19.09) º/min. We observed a predominance of trajectories
heading south throughout the study. Groups exhibiting more erratic
movements early in the season, and groups moving south showed more linear
trajectories than groups moving north, indicating the beginning of their
migration back to the feeding grounds. Energy conserving strategies and
social context affect the movements of humpback whales in Serra Grande,
resulting in the observed patterns of the reoccupation of available and
suitable habitat north of Abrolhos. Thereby, special attention should be
given managing activities with the potential to disturb or displace whales
using the region to calve and breed.

To have free access:

http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S1676-06032018000400210&lng=en&tlng=en

Or you can request by email: misabelcgoncalves at gmail.com