[MARMAM] New Paper: Design Considerations for Estimating Survival Rates With Standing Age Structures

Taylor, Rebecca rebeccataylor at usgs.gov
Mon Mar 26 12:36:34 PDT 2018

We are pleased to announce the following new publication:

Taylor, R. L. and Udevitz, M. S. (2018), Design considerations for
estimating survival rates with standing age structures. Wildl. Soc. Bull.,
42: 32-39. doi:10.1002/wsb.858 <https://doi.org/10.1002/wsb.858>

ABSTRACT Survival rate estimates are critical to understanding the dynamics
and status of a population, and they are often inferred from samples of the
population’s age structure. A recently developed method uses time series of
standing age-structure data with information about population growth rate
or fecundity to provide explicit maximum likelihood estimators of
age-specific survival rates, without assuming population stability or
stationarity. We explored properties of these estimators and determined
sample size requirements for the estimators to achieve desired levels of
precision, limit bias, and limit the probability a rate will be inestimable
or its estimate inadmissible (>1).We show that estimating combined rates
for adjacent age classes is an effective method of overcoming sensitivity
to sampling noise in situations where collecting a larger sample of data is
not feasible.

--
Rebecca Taylor
Research Statistician