[MARMAM] Antarctica Opportunity - 2018-2019 season

Laura K.O. Smith laura.ko.smith at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 17:58:59 PDT 2018

Antarctica Research Opportunity 2018-2019 Season

Quixote Expeditions, a sailing company in Antarctica, has up to 3  bunk
spaces during the 2018-2019 Antarctic Season for Guest Scientists to join
us in Antarctica.  The season is 16 Dec 2018 - 15 Feb 2019.  Scientists can
come for 15 or 30 day trips during this time period.  In the past our
research positions have been filled by members of the MARMAM community
helping phd with projects!  We hope to continue to be able to support this
community.  Details are below. Any questions please contact info at quixote
-expeditions.com.  Applications Due April 15, 2019

*Antarctica Guest Scientist Program*

Quixote Expeditions is excited to announce its 2018-2019 Guest Scientist
 program for our 2018-2019 season on trips to the
Antarctic Peninsula.

More information is on our website (http://www.quixote-expeditions.com/guest
-scientist/)  and below:

Quixote Expeditions has a Guest Scientist Program where scientists can join
any of our regularly scheduled trips in order to help them carry out their
active research. This can be anyone working on a master's or PhD thesis,
post-docs, professors and researchers at universities, and scientists
associated with
non-profits. We offer a free space onboard any of our scheduled trips for
scientists to perform their research. We sail in remote places that are
often hard for scientists to get to and for those with limited funding,
impossible due to the expensive nature of working in remote areas. We hope
that by offering these spaces, one per trip, that amazing and interesting
science can be continued here at the end of the world.

In exchange we ask that the scientists to contribute the following:

- To involve the other guests onboard with the research and data
collecting if possible (Its not always possible!).

-  To present some of their current or past research while onboard.

-  At the end of the trip to prepare a short write up about the trip and
the science that will then be posted on the QuixoteExpeditions Website.

-  To help operate the vessel (standing watch, helping in the galley,
etc).  Ocean Tramp, while a large sailboat, is still small compared to a
larger research vessel. We ask that all scientists chip in, along with our
guests.

 We can offer free room and board to one scientists per trip. All other
related costs are at the expense of the scientists.  Please go to our
website for the application and full details  http://www.quixote-expedition
s.com/guest-scientist/