[MARMAM] First in-situ PAM array at operational tidal turbine

Chloe Malinka chloe.e.malinka at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 06:20:46 PDT 2018

Hi MARMAM community,

We are pleased to announce our new publication:

Malinka CE, Gillespie DM, Macaulay JDJ, Joy R, & CE Sparling (2018).* First
in-situ passive acoustic monitoring for marine mammals during operation of
a tidal turbine in Ramsey Sound, Wales*. *Marine Ecology Progress Series
590*: 247-266. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3354/meps12467.

*Abstract:*  The development of marine renewables has raised concerns
regarding impacts on wildlife, and environmental monitoring is often
required. We examined 3 mo of continuous passive acoustic monitoring (PAM)
data collected at the Tidal Energy Ltd. DeltaStream turbine deployment in
Ramsey Sound, UK. We aimed to assess the performance of the PAM system at
an operational turbine, describe the 3D movements and behaviours of small
cetaceans in the vicinity of the turbine, and model changes in detection
rates against temporal and environmental variables. The PAM system was
designed to acoustically detect, classify and track porpoises and dolphins
via their vocalisations within a ~100 m radius of the turbine. In total,
247 small cetacean encounters were identified from click detections, which
were also used to reconstruct the spatial movements of porpoises and
dolphins, including close approaches to the turbine. Not all hydrophones
were functional, which limited the ability to localise porpoise clicks; the
probability of detecting and localising a click decreased by 50% at a range
of ~20 m. Mechanical sounds on the turbine may have alerted cetaceans of
its presence. In models examining acoustic detection patterns, the tidal
state, time of day, low low-frequency noise levels and moon phase best
explained the acoustic presence of porpoises. The limited duration of
turbine operation yielded insufficient data to understand the effect of
turbine rotation on animal presence and movement near the turbine. This is
the first description of how small cetaceans behave and move around a tidal
turbine, and we present recommendations regarding how PAM can be used to
improve environmental monitoring at future tidal energy sites.

*Available at*:  http://www.int-res.com/prepress/m12467.html
<http://www.int-res.com/prepress/m12467.html>

Please feel free contact me with PDF requests.

Cheers,

Chloe Malinka

--
*Chloe Malinka*