[MARMAM] New paper on habitat preferences by individually identified female humpback whales when with versus without a calf

Adam Pack pack at hawaii.edu
Mon Mar 12 13:37:26 PDT 2018

Aloha Colleagues,

My co-authors and I are pleased to inform you that our paper "*Comparing
depth and seabed terrain preferences of individually identified humpback
whales (Megaptera novaeangliae), with and without calf, off Maui, Hawaii"*
has just appeared in the early on-line view of Marine Mammal Science.  A
full citation and abstract appear below.  If you would like a pdf copy of
this work, please email me at pack at hawaii.edu.  Hoping you are all enjoying
the spring season and that your year has been filled with good health, joy
and peace.

Best regards,
Adam

Pack, A. A., Herman, L. M., Craig, A. S., Spitz, S. S., Waterman, J. O.,
Herman, E. Y. K., Deakos, M. H., Hakala, S. and Lowe, C. (2018), Comparing
depth and seabed terrain preferences of individually identified female
humpback whales (*Megaptera novaeangliae*), with and without calf, off
Maui, Hawaii. Marine Mammal Science. doi:10.1111/mms.12495

We studied individual female humpback whales over 12 years in Maui, Hawaii
so that we could investigate what water depth and seabed terrain type they
preferred when they had a calf versus when they had no calf.  At each
sighting, we photographed the female’s unique tail fluke pattern and
determined her water depth and whether she was associated with rugged or
flat seabed terrain.  We found that 35 females who were sighted with a calf
and without a calf in different years preferred significantly shallower
water when they had a calf, but they had no preference for particular
seabed terrain.  The current findings, when taken together with our most
recent study in the same area (e.g. Pack et al. 2017) reinforce the
importance of both shallow water and deeper water habitats to female
humpback whales off Maui depending on their reproductive condition as well
as on the age and size of their calves.

--
Adam A. Pack, Ph.D. Professor and Chair (Psychology)
Departments of Psychology and Biology
(Email): pack at hawaii.edu
(Webpage): https://hilo.hawaii.edu/faculty/adam-a-pack/

"Do or do not; there is no try." Yoda