[MARMAM] New publication on the selective reactions to killer whale calls by two delphinid species

Bowers,Matthew Matthew.Bowers2 at colostate.edu
Wed Jun 13 10:14:39 PDT 2018

Hi All,

My co-authors and I are please to announce our new publication in the Journal of Experimental Biology:

Selective reactions to different killer whale call categories in two delphinid species
Matthew T. Bowers, Ari S. Friedlaender, Vincent M. Janik, Douglas P. Nowacek, Nicola J. Quick, Brandon L. Southall, Andrew J. Read
Journal of Experimental Biology  2018  221: jeb162479 doi: 10.1242/jeb.162479  Published 12 June 2018

Abstract: The risk of predation is often invoked as an important factor influencing the evolution of social organization in cetaceans, but little direct information is available about how these aquatic mammals respond to predators or other perceived threats. We used controlled playback experiments to examine the behavioral responses of short-finned pilot whales (Globicephala macrorhynchus) off Cape Hatteras, NC, USA, and Risso's dolphins (Grampus griseus) off the coast of Southern California, USA, to the calls of a potential predator, mammal-eating killer whales. We transmitted calls of mammal-eating killer whales, conspecifics and baleen whales to 10 pilot whales and four Risso's dolphins equipped with multi-sensor archival acoustic recording tags (DTAGs). Only playbacks of killer whale calls resulted in significant changes in tagged animal heading. The strong responses observed in both species occurred only following exposure to a subset of killer whale calls, all of which contained multiple non-linear properties. This finding suggests that these structural features of killer whale calls convey information about predatory risk to pilot whales and Risso's dolphins. The observed responses differed between the two species; pilot whales approached the sound source while Risso's dolphins fled following playbacks. These divergent responses likely reflect differences in anti-predator response mediated by the social structure of the two species.

The paper can be accessed here: http://jeb.biologists.org/content/221/11/jeb162479

Cheers,

Matthew

Matthew Bowers, PhD
Research Scientist
Dept. of Fish, Wildlife and Conservation Biology
Colorado State University
136 Wagar Building
Fort Collins CO 80523
mtbowers at colostate.edu<mailto:mtbowers at colostate.edu>