[MARMAM] Namibian Internship_2018

Namibian Dolphin Project nam.dolphin.edu at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 00:59:33 PDT 2018

 The Namibian Dolphin Project is a research and conservation organization
run by several independent scientists based in southern Africa. We are
running an intensive field season this year and still have some places
available
for interns to join between 01 and 31 August 2018 in Walvis Bay, Namibia.

Interns will join an active research programme during an intensive period
of field work aiming to tackle a number of research questions including
long-term population monitoring (photo ID and static acoustic monitoring),
behavioural acoustics of bottlenose dolphins (linking sounds to
behaviours), behavioural and acoustic responses to anthropogenic activities
and response to stranded cetaceans (refloatation/data collection). Our
focal study species are Heaviside's dolphins, a small population of common
bottlenose dolphins and humpback whales with additional data collection on
right whales, sunfish (Mola mola), African Penguins, sea turtles, jackals
and Cape fur seals.

Internships are research focused with an emphasis on learning (and using)
field skills in cetacean research such as photo-identification,
acoustic and behavioural data collection, as well as data management and
team work. Interns will work closely with the project leaders Dr Tess
Gridley and Dr Simon Elwen. We are amenable to students using data
collected during internships for student projects.

If you are interested in joining our research team please contact us with
a brief motivation and your CV in an email with the subject Research
Internship 2018_Namibia to nam.dolphin.edu at gmail.com.

More information can be found on the Namibian Dolphin Project and our
umbrella organisation Sea Search (including publications) by following
these links (www.namibiandolphinproject.org  www.seasearch.co.za)

Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any questions
regarding this training opportunity.

Kind regards
Namibian Dolphin Project Team
www.namibiandolphinproject. <http://www.namibiandolphinproject.com/>org