[MARMAM] New paper: searching for Sotalia hybrids in the Amazon estuary

Haydee Cunha haydeecunha at yahoo.com.br
Thu Jul 5 06:15:59 PDT 2018

Dear all,
on behalf of my co-authors, I'd like to share the publication of the following paper, which is available as "first view":
Santos TEC, da Silva VMF, do Carmo NAS, Lazoski C & Cunha HA (2018) Sotalia dolphins in their potential sympatry zone: searching for hybrids in the Amazonian estuary. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom. doi:10.1017/S0025315418000401

Abstract
The two Sotalia species (the marine S. guianensis and the freshwater S. fluviatilis) have only recently been recognized, and both face several conservation challenges. We investigated the existence of hybridization between the two species in their possible area of sympatry in the Amazon Estuary, in northern Brazil. A fast and cheap PCR-RFLP diagnostic method using nuclear DNA was developed to discriminate between the two species, while allowing the detection of hybrids. All samples that could be identified (N = 51) were identified as S. guianensis, and no hybrids were detected. Our results, coupled with previous mitochondrial data, suggest that S. fluviatilis is not present in the Amazon delta. Thus, sympatry with S. guianensis, if it does occur, may be restricted to upstream areas of the Amazon River.
The pdf can be downloaded at https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-the-marine-biological-association-of-the-united-kingdom or requested to haydeecunha at yahoo.com.br
Cheers,
Haydée
Profa. Dra. Haydée A. Cunha
MAQUA - Laboratório de Mamíferos Aquáticos e Bioindicadores (UERJ)

Faculdade de Oceanografia
Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro
Rua São Francisco Xavier, 524 / Sl. 4002-E
Maracanã, Rio de Janeiro - RJ, Brasil
CEP 20.550-013
Tel: +55 (21) 2334-0065 / 99981-8382