[MARMAM] Intermediate Marine Mammal Biologist

Allen, Ainsley Ainsley_Allen at golder.com
Fri Jan 26 09:29:05 PST 2018

Intermediate Marine Mammal Biologist
Description

Golder Associates is looking for an Intermediate Marine Mammal Biologist to join our Environmental Assessment and Biological Sciences Division in BC. The successful candidate will be responsible for leading, developing and managing project work in support of marine-based environmental impact assessments (EIA), environmental management planning, and environmental baseline studies for complex development projects in the marine sector, including oil and gas developments, port and harbours, and marine construction projects in British Columbia, the Canadian Arctic, Atlantic Canada and abroad.

The candidate will serve as marine mammal technical lead on large multi-disciplinary projects in BC and across Canada, overseeing a variety of marine mammal monitoring programs and targeted field studies. The candidate will be responsible for providing strategic advice to internal and external clients related to EIA, best management practices, mitigation strategies, and environmental monitoring programs.

Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:

  *   Design and application of marine mammal census/population surveys, behavioral studies, and monitoring programs

  *   Preparation of technical reports based on current scientific knowledge, peer-reviewed literature, targeted studies, and monitoring programs

  *   Contribute to the coordinated development of business opportunities in the field of marine sciences with a focus on marine mammals

  *   Preparing permits/regulatory approval applications and representing Golder at technical, regulatory agency and client meetings

  *   Maintaining a strong rapport with applicable regulatory agencies, technical organizations and relevant subcontractors

  *   Developing proposals, work plans, and budgets for marine-based field programs and desktop studies

  *   Providing mentoring and training to existing junior and intermediate staff

Qualifications

The successful candidate will possess the following skills and qualifications:

  *   Minimum Master's degree in marine ecology, marine biology, zoology, or equivalent

  *   Five or more years of relevant work experience, ideally with two or more years of relevant experience in a professional consulting context

  *   Experience leading teams and providing mentorship and training to junior staff for successful project delivery is desired

  *   Experience in project development, project management, proposal writing, budget development and budget management is desired

  *   Specialized skill set in marine mammal sciences, bioacoustics, and/or marine ecology

  *   Demonstrated experience in study/survey design specific to marine field studies, environmental monitoring programs, census surveys, biological inventories and habitat offsetting/compensation programs

  *   Proven skills in technical writing, statistical analysis and interpreting technical documents

  *   Experience with analytical software packages such as R and MATLAB is an asset

  *   Working knowledge of federal and provincial environmental legislation as related to coastal development projects and potential impacts on marine resources

  *   Demonstrated experience preparing regulatory permit applications and authorizations

  *   Demonstrated knowledge of the environmental assessment process in at least one Canadian jurisdiction and industry-standard EIA methodology used to assess project-related effects on valued marine ecosystem components

  *   Strong leadership skills and demonstrated ability to work in a team environment

  *   Demonstrated ability to communicate with clients, senior management, fellow team members, regulatory agencies, local stakeholders, First Nations, and Inuit organizations

  *   Strong commitment to Health and Safety

  *   Membership or eligibility to register as a Professional Biologist in the Province of British Columbia

Regularly ranked as one of the best companies to work for

At Golder Associates, we strive to be the most respected global group specializing in ground engineering and environmental services. Employee-owned since our formation in 1960, we have created a unique culture with pride in ownership, resulting in long-term organizational stability. Our professionals take the time to build an understanding of our clients' needs and of the specific environments in which they operate.  Golder has experienced steady growth in the number of people we employ and our technical capabilities. We now employ over 9,000 people who operate from more than 180 offices across Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe, North America and South America.

Our staff benefit from:

*                     An option to purchase shares in Golder associates
*                      Career and personal development opportunities and support of personal growth
*                      Employee mentoring program
*                      Competitive benefits and remuneration packages

Primary Location: CA-BC-VICTORIA
Schedule: Full-time
Apply to posting: https://golder.taleo.net/careersection/globalcareersection/jobdetail.ftl?job=18000109&tz=GMT-08%3A00