[MARMAM] New Publication - First Photographic Match of an Anomalously White Gray Whale (Eschrichtius robustus) in the Northeastern Chukchi Sea, Alaska, and Baja California, Mexico​​

Amy Willoughby - NOAA Affiliate amy.willoughby at noaa.gov
Tue Jan 16 11:57:43 PST 2018

Dear colleagues,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce a recent publication in Aquatic
Mammals:

Willoughby, A.L., M.C. Ferguson, J.T. Clarke, A.A. Brower.  2018.  First
Photographic Match of an Anomalously White Gray Whale (*Eschrichtius
robustus*) in the Northeastern Chukchi Sea, Alaska, and Baja California,
Mexico. Aquatic Mammals. 44(1): 7-12

was sighted and photographed in the northeastern Chukchi Sea, Alaska, and
off Baja California, Mexico. To the best of our knowledge, the observations
presented denote the first accounts of (1) an anomalously white gray whale
in the northeastern Chukchi Sea and (2) a note-worthy intra-annual match of
an individual gray whale on both wintering and summering grounds. Our goal
was to highlight sightings of anomalously white gray whales to generate
distribution and habitat information, monitor the health and reproductive
success of these atypical animals, and provide a database to which future
sightings could be added. Findings from our literature and photographic
research, which include published and unpublished accounts of anomalously
white gray whales, are provided in a comprehensive table.

Available at Aquatic Mammals: https://doi.org/10.1578/AM.44.1.2018.7

Feel free to contact me directly for a PDF copy. amy.willoughby at noaa.gov

Regards,
Amy