[MARMAM] New paper: Bioeconomic impacts of grey seal predation on fisheries

Vanessa Trijoulet - NOAA Affiliate vanessa.trijoulet at noaa.gov
Fri Jan 12 11:40:24 PST 2018

Dear colleagues,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the online publication of the
following paper:

Trijoulet, V., Dobby, H., Holmes, S. J., and Cook, R. M. 2018. Bioeconomic
modelling of grey seal predation impacts on the West of Scotland demersal
fisheries. ICES Journal of Marine Science, doi:10.1093/icesjms/fsx235

The paper is available in open access at: https://academic.oup.com/
icesjms/advance-article-abstract/doi/10.1093/icesjms/fsx235/4803069

*Abstract*:
The role grey seals have played in the performance of fisheries is
controversial and a cause of much debate between fishers and
conservationists. Most studies focus on the effects of seal damage to gears
or fish and on prey population abundance but little attention is given to
the consequences of the latter for the fisheries. We develop a model that
quantifies the economic impact of grey seal predation on the West of
Scotland demersal fisheries that traditionally targeted cod, haddock and
whiting. Three contrasting fishing strategy scenarios are examined to
assess impacts on equilibrium fleet revenues under different levels of seal
predation. These include status quo fishing mortality (SQF, steady state
with constant fishing mortality), open access fishing (bioeconomic
equilibrium, BE) and the maximum economic yield (MEY). In all scenarios,
cod emerges as the key stock. Large whitefish trawlers are most sensitive
to seal predation due to their higher cod revenues but seal impacts are
minor at the aggregate fishery level. Scenarios that consider dynamic fleet
behaviour also show the greatest effects of seal predation. Results are
sensitive to the choice of seal foraging model where a type II functional
response increases sensitivity to seal predation. The cost to the fishery
for each seal is estimated.

Best regards,

Vanessa Trijoulet

------------------------------

* Please cc my personal email address "vanessatrijoulet at gmail.com" for
important communications, I have occasional problems with receiving or
sending emails with my NOAA address

Vanessa Trijoulet, PhD.

Postdoctoral Fisheries Biologist

Contractor with Integrated Statistics in support of
NOAA Fisheries, Northeast Fisheries Science Center

U.S. Department of Commerce

*Population Dynamics Branch*

*166 Water St., Woods Hole, MA 02543, USA*

*Office*: +1 508-495-2018

*Fax*: +1 508-495-2335

*Email*: *vanessa.trijoulet*@noaa.gov <vanessa.trijoulet at noaa.gov>

*Website*: https://vanessatrijoulet.wordpress.com