[MARMAM] New publication: Oligocene fossil dolphin from Ecuador Urkudelphis

Gabriel Aguirre gaboaguirre at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 13:49:43 PST 2018

Dear MARMAM suscribers,

On behalf of my coauthors, we would like to announce our recent publication
in the open-access journal PLoS ONE:

Tanaka Y, Abella J, Aguirre-Fernández G, Gregori M, Fordyce RE (2017) A new
tropical Oligocene dolphin from Montañita/Olón, Santa Elena, Ecuador. PLoS
ONE 12(12): e0188380. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0188380

The article can be downloaded here:
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0188380

ABSTRACT
A new small probable Oligocene dolphin from Ecuador represents a new genus
and species, *Urkudelphis chawpipacha*. The new taxon is known from a
single juvenile skull and earbones; it differs from other archaic dolphins
in features including widely exposed frontals at the vertex, a dorsally
wide open vomer at the mesorostral groove, and a strongly projected and
pointed lateral tuberosity of the periotic. Phylogenetic analysis places it
toward the base of the largely-extinct clade Platanistoidea. The fossil is
one of a few records of tropical fossil dolphins.

Best regards,
Gabriel Aguirre