[MARMAM] New publication on the clicks of dwarf sperm whales (Kogia sima)

Karlina Merkens - NOAA Affiliate karlina.merkens at noaa.gov
Mon Feb 26 09:45:57 PST 2018

Dear MARMAM,

We are pleased to announce a new publication on the characteristics of the
clicks of the dwarf sperm whale (Kogia sima) in Marine Mammal Science.

Merkens, K., Mann, D., Janik, V. M., Claridge, D., Hill, M. and Oleson, E.
(2018), Clicks of dwarf sperm whales (Kogia sima). Mar Mam Sci.
doi:10.1111/mms.12488

Abstract: The two species of the genus Kogia are widely distributed
throughout the world's temperate and tropical oceans, but because they are
small and highly cryptic, they are difficult to monitor. The acoustic
signals of K. breviceps have been described previously, but the signals of
K. sima have remained unknown. Here we present three recordings of K. sima,
two from free-ranging animals and one from a captive setting, representing
both the Atlantic Ocean and Pacific Ocean. The acoustic signals of K. sima
are very similar to the signals of K. breviceps and other species that have
narrow-band, high-frequency (NBHF) clicks. Free-ranging K. sima produce
“usual” clicks that have mean peak and centroid frequencies of 127–129 kHz,
mean −3 dB bandwidth of 10 kHz, mean −10 dB bandwidth of 16–17 kHz, and
mean interclick interval of 110–164 ms. Although K. sima clicks cannot yet
be distinguished from those of K. breviceps or other NBHF clicking species,
our detailed description of this species' signals reveals the similarities
between the two Kogia species, and thus allows for passive acoustic
monitoring of the genus Kogia in regions where other NBHF species are not
present.

You can find the article on the Marine Mammal Science website, or contact
Karlina Merkens (karlina.merkens AT noaa.gov).

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/mms.12488/full

Thank you,
Karlina Merkens

--