[MARMAM] New publication: Genetic study of Japanese harbour seals (Mariko Mizuno)

m m marikotosizuka at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 4 23:32:45 PST 2018

Dear colleagues,

We are pleased to announce a new publication in PLOS ONE:
Mitochondrial DNA reveals secondary contact in Japanese harbour seals, the southernmost population in the western Pacific.

Full citation:
Mizuno, M., Sasaki, T., Kobayashi, M., Haneda, T., & Masubuchi, T. (2018). Mitochondrial DNA reveals secondary contact in Japanese harbour seals, the southernmost population in the western Pacific. PLOS ONE, 13(1), e0191329. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0191329

Abstract:
In this study, we used relatively large number of samples (n = 178) and control region of mtDNA (454bp) to clearify the divergence history of Japanese harbour seals (Phoca vitulina stejnegeri) and phylogenetic relationship between the seals in Japan and other countries. Our results suggested that Japanese harbour seals possibly consisted of more than two lineages and secondary contact of populations after a long isolation. Furthermore, one of the lineage was made only by Japanese harbour seals (Group P1). The proportion of Group P1 was the highest at the South West and gradually decreased towards the North East of Hokkaido, Japan. On the other hand, the haplotypes do not belonged to Group P1 showed close relationship to the seals in the North Pacific. Based on the fossil record of harbour seal in Japan and the range of sea ice during the Last Glacial Maximum (LGM), Group P1 might have entered Japan before the LGM and became isolated due to the geographical boundary, and gradually extended its range from the South West towards the North East of Hokkaido after the disappearance of the sea ice, while the seals which are not in Group P1 immigrated into Japan from the North Pacific.

You can download the full article at:
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article/file?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0191329&type=printable

or feel free to email me to request a PDF copy:
m_mizuno88 at yahoo.co.uk<mailto:m_mizuno88 at yahoo.co.uk>.

Best regards,

Mariko Mizuno