[MARMAM] new open access publication on dolphin echolocation

Laura Kloepper laurakloepper at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 06:51:38 PST 2018

Dear colleagues,

We are happy to share our new open access publication "Off-axis targets
maximize bearing Fisher Information in broadband active sonar" which
combines mathematical predictions with empirical measurements of a
bottlenose dolphin. We derived the bearing Fisher Information encoded in
the frequency-dependent transmitted beam of a bottlenose dolphin and found
that the optimal strategy for obtaining target information is to direct the
beam slightly askew of the target. We also recorded the echolocation
behavior of dolphin and found the dolphin behaved in agreement with our
predictions.

This paper is open access and is available at the following link:
http://asa.scitation.org/doi/10.1121/1.5021709

Cheers,
Laura Kloepper

Dr. Laura Kloepper