[MARMAM] CetaceaLab volunteer program 2019

Hermann Meuter whalepoint at outlook.com
Sun Dec 30 15:29:53 PST 2018

CetaceaLab is a land based whale research facility located in the
territory of the Gitga’at First Nation on Gil Island, British Columbia,
Canada. We are now accepting applications for the 2019 field season from
May until the end of September. All positions are for 4-8 weeks in
duration. There is a weekly fee for food. These are volunteer/intern
positions to help with the collection of visual and acoustic data on the
habitat use and abundance of northern resident/transient Killer whales,
Humpback and Fin whales. Due to our extreme remote location applicants
need to be in good physical condition, able to participate with the
daily routine of living off the grid and comfortable sleeping in a tent
in the wilderness of BC. There is a lot of hard physical work that will
come with this position, you must be fit without any physical injuries.
There are no roads, very limited Internet access, very limited medical
service and power is completely off the grid.
- Daily shifts involve scanning for whales, documenting all sightings
and when possible to take identification pictures of whales
- Listening and recording all whale vocalizations that are transmitted
to the lab facility from our network of hydrophone stations
  - Data entry from land based and marine vessel based surveys
- Identification work of all whales from photographs taken in the field
There will also be a lot of heavy lifting and moving over uneven
terrain, chopping wood ( our only source of heat) and assistance with
the physical maintenance of hydrophone stations.
Experience with carpentry, electronics, IT, social media, website
building and environmental communications would be a valuable asset.
Interested applicants should send a letter describing why they would
like to join our team, CV and letter of reference to: whalepoint at outlook.com
References will be contacted. More information about our research can be
found at www.forwhales.org
All the Best and Good Luck,  Hermann Meuter