[MARMAM] NDP Internship_February/March 2019

Sea Search & Namibian Dolphin Project nam.dolphin.edu at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 03:19:57 PST 2018

The Namibian Dolphin Project is an organization run by several independent
scientists based in southern Africa. We would like to invite students
enrolled in marine biology, ecology and zoology degrees that already have
some experience to apply for our internship period in February and March
2019.

During this fieldwork period we will be collecting a variety of different
data types including photo-identification, bioacoustics, eDNA, spatially
explicit capture-recapture and behavioural data. During this fieldwork
session fieldwork will focus on the small localised population of
bottlenose dolphins. We require interns with strong team work skills.
Previous small boat work and kayaking experience would be preferred and
preference will be given to interns that can commit to both months. There
is a fee associated with the internship and spots are limited.

We also still have some spaces available for our research internship in
June – August 2019. During which time interns will join an active research
programme during an intensive period of field work aiming to tackle a
number of research questions including long-term population monitoring
(photo ID and static acoustic monitoring), behavioural acoustics of
bottlenose dolphins (linking sounds to behaviours), behavioural and
acoustic responses to anthropogenic activities and response to stranded
cetaceans (refloatation/data collection). Our focal study species are
Heaviside's dolphins, a small population of common bottlenose dolphins and
humpback whales with additional data collection on right whales, sunfish (*Mola
mola*), African Penguins, sea turtles, jackals and Cape fur seals.
Internships are research focused with an emphasis on learning (and using)
field skills in cetacean research.
If you are interested in these placements please send a copy of your CV and
a letter of motivation to info at seasearch.co.za and seasearchafrica at gmail.com
.

More information can be found on the Namibian Dolphin Project and our
umbrella organisation Sea Search Research and Conservation (including
publications) by following these links  (www.namibiandolphinproject.org/
http://seasearch.co.za/ )

Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any questions
regarding these internship opportunities.

Kind regards
Namibian Dolphin Project Team
www.namibiandolphinproject.org/

www.facebook.com/namibiandolphinproject