[MARMAM] Research Technician - Mississippi Marine Mammal and Turtle Conservation, Recovery, and Monitoring Program
Elizabeth.Premo at usm.edu
Thu Dec 20 07:52:17 PST 2018
This position supports primarily activities associated with the USM's Monitoring Program of the Commercial Shrimp Trawl Fishery in Mississippi waters, which is part of the project entitled "Mississippi Marine Mammal and Turtle Conservation, Recovery, and Monitoring Program" funded by the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation (NFWF), Gulf Environmental Benefit Fund (GEBF) through the Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ). The main goal of the Monitoring Program is to establish a collaborative, voluntary program with commercial shrimp fishermen operating in Mississippi state waters with an emphasis on understanding interactions of marine mammals and sea turtles with shrimp vessels. The selected applicant will work closely with captains and crews from shrimp vessels and with biologists from the USM's Gulf Coast Research Laboratory in Ocean Springs, Mississippi.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
1. Assists with tasks related to monitoring, including recruitment, scheduling and placement on vessels, tracking work hours, trip debriefing and other reporting.
2. Performs data entry and Quality Assessment/Quality Control (QA/QC) of data.
3. Supports data analysis, preparation of manuscripts and outreach.
4. Participates in biological sampling, data collection and reporting tasks onboard commercial fishing vessels.
5. Completes all necessary training to be eligible to perform monitoring tasks and as required for USM employees.
6. Responsible for purchasing and maintaining materials, equipment and gear.
7. Supports training sessions for monitoring, including preparing PowerPoint presentations and handouts, participates in and helps organize meetings, performs other duties as assigned (including work on other research projects as needed).
A BS degree in marine biology, ecology, fisheries, or a related field with one year of professional work experience, or a MS degree.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
* Research experience.
* Excellent organizational skills.
* Good to excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access).
* Good to excellent statistical and computer skills.
* Good to excellent verbal communication and writing competencies in English.
* Good to excellent interpersonal skills.
* Ability to spend on average 2-3 days at sea multiple times a week. Must be able to work at sea in strenuous conditions (e.g., handle heavy lifting, working long hours in rough seas and irregular schedules) and maintain diplomacy and professionalism in challenging environments.
* Valid driver's license required.
* Experience with marine fish species identification (particularly in Mississippi coastal waters) and working on research or fishing vessels.
* Experience tutoring or teaching in class-room settings.
* Knowledge of GIS and R software; experience with online collaborative projects.
* CPR, First-Aid and Boater's Safety certifications.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM