[MARMAM] New Publication: View From Below: Inferring Behavior and Physiology of Southern Ocean Marine Predators From Dive Telemetry

Giulia Roncon giulia.roncon at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 22:11:39 PST 2018

Dear colleagues,

We are pleased to announce the following Review paper in Frontiers in
Marine Science: "View From Below: Inferring Behavior and Physiology of
Southern Ocean Marine Predators From Dive Telemetry ”

Roncon, G., Bestley, S., McMahon, C. R., Wienecke, B., & Hindell, M. A. (2018).

https://doi.org/10.3389/fmars.2018.00464

Abstract:Air-breathing marine animals, such as seals and seabirds,
undertake a special form of central-place foraging as they must obtain
their food at depth yet return to the surface to breathe. While
telemetry technologies have advanced our understanding of the foraging
behavior and physiology of these marine predators, the proximate and
ultimate influences controlling the diving behavior of individuals are
still poorly understood. Over time, a wide variety of analytical
approaches have been developed for dive data obtained via telemetry,
making comparative studies and syntheses difficult even amongst
closely-related species. Here we review publications using dive
telemetry for 24 species (marine mammals and seabirds) in the Southern
Ocean in the last decade (2006–2016). We determine the key questions
asked, and examine how through the deployment of data loggers these
questions are able to be answered. As part of this process we describe
the measured and derived dive variables that have been used to make
inferences about diving behavior, foraging, and physiology. Adopting a
question-driven orientation highlights the benefits of a standardized
approach for comparative analyses and the development of models.
Ultimately, this should promote robust treatment of increasingly
complex data streams, improved alignment across diverse research
groups, and also pave the way for more integrative multi-species
meta-analyses. Finally, we discuss key emergent areas in which dive
telemetry data are being upscaled and more quantitatively integrated
with movement and demographic information to link to population level
consequences.

This article is open access and available online.
For any questions do not hesitate to contact me at: giulia.roncon at gmail.com

Giulia Roncon, DVM

Ph.D. Candidate
Institute for Marine and Antarctic Studies (IMAS)
University of Tasmania
Office: IMAS Waterfront Building, 20 Castray Espl, Battery Point
Mail: University of Tasmania, Private Bag 129, HOBART TAS 7001
E *giulia.roncon at utas.edu.au <giulia.roncon at utas.edu.au>*

M +61448614441