[MARMAM] New publication describing minke whale vocalizations on the west coast of Canada

katrinan at uvic.ca katrinan at uvic.ca
Wed Dec 12 08:00:30 PST 2018

Hello MarMam subscribers,

My co-author and I are excited to announce a new publication describing
the vocalizations of minke whales on a summer feeding ground in British
Columbia, Canada. The article was published in Bioacoustics this month.
Abstract is below. Please contact the corresponding author
(katrinan at uvic.ca) for more information or for a full-text PDF copy of the
article.

Citation:

Katrina Nikolich & Jared R. Towers (2018): Vocalizations of common minke
whales (Balaenoptera acutorostrata) in an eastern North Pacific feeding
ground, Bioacoustics, DOI: 10.1080/09524622.2018.1555716

Link to the article:
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/09524622.2018.1555716

Abstract:

“The minke whale (Balaenoptera acutorostrata) is a small species of baleen
whale with a cosmopolitan distribution. Despite extensive study on the
vocalizations of other balaenopterids, the acoustic repertoire of minke
whales is not well known. Individuals of the North Pacific subspecies (B.
acutorostrata scammoni) produce unique vocalizations (‘boings’) during
their putative breeding season from fall to spring. However, no
vocalizations have been previously reported for this subspecies in any
eastern North Pacific feeding ground. We present two call types recorded
in the presence of six minke whales, two of which were confirmed as
female, in Cormorant Channel, British Columbia, Canada, during the summer
of 2012. The calls consist of downsweeps and pulse chains. These call
types share some characteristics with calls described elsewhere, although
they are not identical to similar call types observed for other
populations. Calling rates for minke whales in this study region are very
low compared to those reported for this subspecies on its putative
breeding grounds, as well as for other subspecies on their feeding
grounds. We propose predation risk, sexual segregation and acoustic
masking as potential causes of the low calling rates observed for minke
whales in Cormorant Channel.”

Thanks and have a great holiday season!

Kat Nikolich
PhD Student, Biology