[MARMAM] New publication on mammal-eating killer whales in the Salish Sea

Monika Wieland monika.wieland at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 07:52:46 PST 2018

Dear Colleagues,

On behalf of the Orca Behavior Institute, I'm pleased to announce our
latest publication in PeerJ:

Shields MW, Hysong-Shimazu S, Shields JC, Woodruff J. 2018. Increased
presence of mammal-eating killer whales in the Salish Sea with
implications for predator-prey dynamics. PeerJ 6:e6062
https://doi.org/10.7717/peerj.6062

Abstract: The inland waters of Washington State and southern British
Columbia, collectively known as the Salish Sea, comprise key habitat for
two regional populations of killer whales (/Orcinus orca/): the
mammal-eating West Coast Transients and the endangered fish-eating
Southern Residents. These two populations are genetically distinct and
may avoid each other. Transient killer whale usage of the Salish Sea has
been previously assessed over two seven-year time periods, showing an
increase from 1987 to 2010. We documented a continued significant
increase in mammal-eating killer whale presence in the Salish Sea from
2011 to 2017, with intra- and inter-annual variability and with record
sightings in 2017. This continued increase, likely in response to
abundant marine mammal prey, is related to both a growing population and
an increase in the number of West Coast Transients visiting the area.
Additionally, a negative binomial regression shows that absence of
Southern Residents is correlated to transient presence. Finally, both
populations of killer whales have been linked to regional harbor seal
populations; harbor seals are salmonid-eating competitors of the
Southern Residents and are prey for the mammal-eating transients. With
Southern Residents listed as endangered, culling harbor seals has been
proposed as a measure to help in their recovery. With this in mind, we
developed an energetic model to assess the minimum number of harbor
seals consumed by transient killer whales. Using the actual number of
whales present in each age-sex class for each day of the year, we
estimate that, at a minimum, transients in the Salish Sea consumed 1090
seals in 2017. This is more than 2% of the 2014 estimated harbor seal
population the Salish Sea. The population controlling effects of
transient killer whale predation on harbor seals should be considered
when evaluating any pinniped management actions in the Salish Sea.

Full paper available open access here: https://peerj.com/articles/6062/

Best regards,

Monika Wieland Shields
Orca Behavior Institute