[MARMAM] Veterinary Lab Internship-Alaska SeaLife Center
annap at alaskasealife.org
Tue Dec 4 14:19:01 PST 2018
The Alaska SeaLife Center is now recruiting for:
*Marine Wildlife Veterinary Laboratory Intern-Summer 2019*
Intern will learn about the diagnostics and instruments commonly used in a
veterinary laboratory specializing in Alaskan marine mammals, birds and
fish. Intern will be exposed to the methods used to maintain a clean and
efficient laboratory. Skills and procedures learned will include: blood
analysis, urine and fecal analysis, fecal coliform water quality analysis,
sample collection during animal exams or necropsy, and maintaining
veterinary records and sample inventory. Under guidance of Laboratory
staff, the Intern will be trained and expected to perform the following
- Assist with set up and processing routine blood samples. Work with
laboratory technicians to perform plasma/serum separations, prepare blood
slides, and assist with performing serum chemistries and cell counts using
an automated analyzer.
- Assist with maintaining laboratory and veterinary clinic cleanliness
and routine maintenance of equipment.
- Assist with weekly water quality testing.
- Assist with maintaining sample inventory
- Assist with shipping samples to outside researchers
- Assist with maintaining medical and laboratory records and logs.
- Assist with organizing and inventorying consumable supplies for the
- Assist with other duties relating to the Center’s goals and mission
statement as required.
Applicants should be agile with a good sense of balance in order to
maneuver around the exhibits and holding areas. Applicants must be
comfortable working with database computer programs and sensitive
equipment. Must be willing to work with frozen samples and in walk-in
freezers and able to lift 50 pounds. Job duties will vary from day to
tasks will be in direct support of animal welfare, there is very little
direct contact with animals in this position.*
Apply at http://www.alaskasealife.org/employment_opportunities
Application deadline is 1/7/19
*Human Resources Coordinator*Alaska SeaLife Center
P.O. Box 1329 • 301 Railway Ave • Seward, AK 99664
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM