[MARMAM] FALKLAND ISLANDS - MARINE MEGAFAUNA - FIELD HELPER NEEDED URGENTLY

simo_liste at tiscali.it simo_liste at tiscali.it
Sat Dec 1 06:19:48 PST 2018

PROJECT: Long term study of MARINE MEGAFAUNA of the FALKLAND
ISLANDS.

POSITION: Volunteer (unpaid) field helper. Only ONE position
available.

DURATION: about 3 months, end of December 2018 to end of
March 2019.

BEGIN DATE: Ideally the new field helper should arrive in
the Falklands on Saturday 22nd of December, but a small delay (two weeks
maximum) could be possible.

LOCATION: Sea Lion Island, Falkland
Islands, Southern Atlantic Ocean.

DUTIES:

 - Southern elephant seals:
counts, mapping, observation of behavior
 - Killer whales:
photoidentification, observation and videotaping of behavior
 -
Falklands skuas: counts, nest identification and mapping, observation of
behavior
 - Raptors: counts, nest identification and mapping,
observation of behavior
 - Marine birds: counts and mapping of different
species (different species of penguins, cormorants, gulls, geese, and
ducks)
 - Environmental monitoring: collection of microclimatic data,
habitat classification, collection of GIS data

DEADLINE: we have an
urgent need to fill a gap in our current field helper team , because one
of our field helper is leaving earlier than expected

DESCRIPTION

One
volunteer field helper is required for the 2018-2019 field season of
various long-term research projects on marine megafauna of the Falkland
Islands, carried out by the Elephant Seal Research Group at Sea Lion
Island.

Previous experience of field work is appreciated but not
essential.

Applicants are required to pay all expenses to get to Sea
Lion Island, and telephone/Internet expenses while there. Accommodation
and food at SLI will be provided by the ESRG. The ESRG is a small
independent organization, so we are asking volunteers a 300 GBP
contribution to help us with management expenses and individual research
equipment repair/maintenance.

Applicants will be required to work in
the field for the whole length of the day, seven days per week, with
just an half day of rest per week. Volunteers are required to help with
cooking, cleaning of their cabin and general maintenance tasks. The data
collection protocol is complex, the field work is physically demanding,
and the weather is often not very good. People without a good tolerance
to cold are discouraged to apply. It is a very rewarding, but demanding,
experience.

The island is a wonderful place with large unspoiled sandy
beaches, and a very rich and very tame wildlife. It is the best hot spot
for wildlife watching in the Falklands, it is an Important Birds Area, a
RAMSAR convention site, and a National Nature Reserve.

APPLICATION

apply please send 1) a cover letter describing your interest in the
position and summarizing your qualifications for it, 2) a detailed CV,
and 3) a copy of an identification document (with picture). Reference
letters (3 maximum) are appreciated, but not essential, and should be
sent directly to the email address mentioned below. If you think you may
have extra documentation that can be relevant (eg, copy of a thesis,
certificates, etc.) please mention them in your email, but don't send
them unless we ask. Please put all documents in a single PDF file, name
it as "your_surname - ESRG2018 - application", and email it as an
attachment of an email to Dr. Simona Sanvito
(simo_esrg at eleseal.org).

Further details about the position are
available here: http://www.eleseal.org/info_helpers_eng.html

Please
note that we have an urgent need to fill up the vacant position, so if
you are interested please contact us immediately, even if you need time
to get your full application ready.

Thanks

The ESRG team

Con OpenStar hai Giga, SMS e i minuti che vuoi da 4,99€ al mese, per sempre. Cambi gratis quando e come vuoi e in più hai 10€ di credito omaggio e 6 mesi di INFINTY! http://tisca.li/myopen