[MARMAM] Dead cetacean ID, mid-Atlantic

Ewan Wakefield ewan_wakefield at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Aug 22 04:41:36 PDT 2018

Dear All,

Last month, while crossing the North Atlantic on a cruise ship, I encountered a dead cetacean at 49.130 N, 33.4363 W (i.e. in deep water, approximately 200 nm W of the Mid-Atlantic ridge and 600 nm NNW of the Azores).  Photographs of the animal can be downloaded from here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4nxqz6kqczpiygr/AADvcB9azpslvNIoI-d_5h93a?dl=0

The total body length was was approximately 4-7 m. The length and shape of the pectoral fin, as well as the shape of the melon and mouth line, suggest to me either a pilot whale or a Risso's dolphin. I would appreciate any further opinions on the animal'a identity.
Thank you for your time,
Ewan

Dr Ewan Wakefield

Email: Ewan_Wakefield at yahoo.co.uk