[MARMAM] Internship Opportunity: Sea Search Research and Conservation

Erin Church - Sea Search Research and Conservation sea.research.conservation at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 05:40:40 PDT 2018

The Sea Search group conducts research on marine megafauna, primarily
whales and dolphins, in southern Africa. Our research covers a wide range
of topics from understanding habitat use and ecological relationships in a
changing climate to behavioural acoustics. Our primary focus is the
production of peer-reviewed scientific research and student training. In
addition,  we engage in a number of education and outreach activities.

The Sea Search Research and Conservation intern programme is aimed at
students and graduates looking for medium to long-term placements to
develop analytical skills, conduct student projects or short theses and
experience active field work and data analysis in the field of cetacean
research.

We have placements available from September 2018 to May 2019 for periods of
at least 2 months. We study a range of species and students/interns would
be involved in processing and analysis of (an) appropriate datasets.
Fieldwork during this period will focus on feeding groups of humpback
whales and endangered humpback dolphins, but the study area has a very
diverse species list and data are collected from all encountered cetaceans.
Interns will form part of a highly motivated team and will be involved in
many Sea Search activities during their stay, including outreach and
education activities.

Requirements: People with a background in biology and some prior relevant
experience (photography, passive acoustics, boat skills) would be
preferred, although all training will be given. Interns must have a mature
attitude to their work and be prepared to work long days and occasional
weekends.

There is a monthly cost associated with this programme which includes
accommodation, training and fieldwork.

Interns who stay through December 2018 will have the opportunity to attend
the African Bioacoustics Community Conference for a small additional fee
https://africanbioacoustic.wixsite.com/abcommunity.

If you are interested in these placements,  please contact
info at seasearch.co.za for further information or look at our websites and
social media sites:

www.seasearch.co.za

https://www.facebook.com/seasearch/