[MARMAM] Reminder about Marine Mammals Field Course at Duke this Summer

Andrew Read, Ph.D. aread at duke.edu
Wed Apr 18 11:42:44 PDT 2018

The Duke University Marine Lab is still accepting enrollments for the summer Marine Mammals course taught by Dr. Renee Albertson & Dr. Andy Read, July 9 - August 10, 2018. The mammals course may be taken concurrently with Conservation Biology and Policy or Drones in Marine Biology, Ecology and Conservation. For details on our summer classes please see: https://nicholas.duke.edu/marinelab/programs/undergraduate/summerII.  To enroll:  click here<https://app.applyyourself.com/AYApplicantLogin/fl_ApplicantLogin.asp?id=duke-geml>

Marine Mammals is a field-intensive course which covers the biology, management and conservation of marine mammals using a variety of tools including genetic analysis, passive acoustics and photo-identification.  At least half of our time is spent in the field or in the laboratory, providing students with an opportunity to learn field and laboratory techniques first-hand.  Detailed consideration is given to adaptation, behavior, ecology, and conservation. Laboratory and field exercises address behavior, ecology, and communication of local populations of our bottlenose dolphins and an excursion to see pelagic cetaceans in the Gulf Stream. The course is suitable for both undergraduate and graduate students. BIO 376LA (undergrad)/ENV 776LA (grad) 4 Duke credits.

Andrew J. Read
Stephen A. Toth Professor of Marine Biology
Director, Duke University Marine Laboratory
Chair, Division of Marine Science and Conservation
Nicholas School of the Environment
Duke University
Phone: 252-504-7590
http://superpod.ml.duke.edu/read/