[MARMAM] New publication _ Tursiops truncatus resident population_central Chile

Maria Jose Perez mjose.perez at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 11:08:56 PDT 2018

Dear colleagues

We are pleased to announce a new article  related to the resident
population of Tursiop truncatus off central Chile titled:"

Home sweet home: social dynamics and genetic variation of a longterm resident
bottlenose dolphin population off the Chilean coast"

Highlights

We examined sociogenetic dynamics of a long-term bottlenose dolphin
population.

Residents (RP) had lower genetic diversity than nonresidents (NRP).

We detected strong male-biased dispersal (10 M:1 F) from NRP to RP.

RP likely originated from NRP following a peripatric model.

Abstract:

Coastal resident and pelagic nonresident bottlenose dolphins, *Tursiops
truncatus*, have been described in north-central Chile. Using long-term
residence data (over 13 years of photo-identification) and genetic mtDNA
information, we analysed the social dynamics through time and the genetic
variation of this long-term resident population, and evaluated its
sociogenetic interaction with nonresidents. Pelagic nonresident dolphins
exhibited a higher level of genetic diversity than coastal residents and a
significant difference in genetic structure was detected between them.
Based on the difference in haplotype numbers and frequencies between
resident and nonresident populations and between resident males and
females, we propose a population dynamic model in which the resident
population is composed of (1) resident females (founder lineages) and some
of their female descendants that were born in and remained in the group,
without effective female immigration from the nonresident population, (2)
resident male descendants of the founder lineage that were born in and
remained in the group and (3) resident males that were incorporated from
the pelagic groups. Male-biased migration from nonresident pelagic groups
into the resident population likely contributes to genetic variation and
therefore may help limit inbreeding in the resident population. Finally, we
propose that the peripatric model of population differentiation, where
resident groups are sporadically connected to the pelagic population, may
explain the origin of this unique resident population of bottlenose
dolphins along the Chilean coast.

*Pérez-Alvarez MJ*, R A. Vásquez, R Moraga, M Santos-Carvallo, S Kraft, V
Sabaj, J Capella, J Gibbons, Y Vilina and E Poulin. Home sweet home: social
structure dynamic and genetic variation of a long-term resident bottlenose
dolphin population off north-central Chile. Animal Behaviour. 139 (2018)
81e89/ Volume 139
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/00033472/139/supp/C>, May
2018, Pages 81–89 . https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anbehav.2018.03.009

Best regards,