[MARMAM] New publication on manatee papillomaviruses

Dr. Antonio Mignucci mignucci at manatipr.org
Wed Apr 11 18:20:20 PDT 2018

Our co-authors and I are pleased to share our recently published article:

Zahin M, Dean WL, Ghim S, Joh J, Gray RD, Gray RD, Khanal S, Bossart GD, Mignucci-Giannoni AA, Rouchka EC, Jenson AB, Trent JO, Chaires JB, Chariker JH. 2018. Identification of G-quadruplexes forming sequences in three manatee papillomaviruses. PLoS ONE 13(4): e0195625.

This article can be found at online at http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0195625 <http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0195625> or by contacting me at the email address below.

ABSTRACT—The Florida manatee (Trichechus manatus latirotris) is a threatened aquatic mammal in United States coastal waters. Over the past decade, the appearance of papillomavirus induced lesions and viral papillomatosis in manatees has been a concern for those involved in the management and rehabilitation of this species. To date, three manatee papillomaviruses (TmPVs) have been identified in Florida manatees, one forming cutaneous lesions (TmPV1) and two forming genital lesions (TmPV3 and TmPV4). We identified DNA sequences with the potential to form G-quadruplex structures (G4) across the three genomes. G4 were located on both DNA strands and across coding and non-coding regions on all TmPVs, offering multiple targets for viral control. Although G4 have been identified in several viral genomes, including human PVs, most research has focused on canonical structures comprised of three Gtetrads. In contrast, the vast majority of sequences we identified would allow the formation of non-canonical structures with only two G-tetrads. Our biophysical analysis confirmed the formation of G4 with parallel topology in three such sequences from the E2 region. Two of the structures appear comprised of multiple stacked two G-tetrad structures, perhaps serving to increase structural stability. Computational analysis demonstrated enrichment of G4 sequences on all TmPVs on the reverse strand in the E2/E4 region and on both strands in the L2 region. Several G4 sequences occurred at similar regional locations on all PVs, most notably on the reverse strand in the E2 region. In other cases, G4 were identified at similar regional locations only on PVs forming genital lesions. On all TmPVs, G4 sequences were located in the non-coding region near putative E2 binding sites. Together, these findings suggest that G4 are possible regulatory elements in TmPVs.

Best regards,

Antonio A. Mignucci-Giannoni, PhD
 <http://manatipr.org/>Director
Puerto Rico Manatee Conservation Center
Universidad Interamericana de Puerto Rico
 <http://manatipr.org/> <http://manatipr.org/>mignucci at manatipr.org <mailto:mignucci at manatipr.org>