[MARMAM] Humpback whales in Ecuador Volunteer and Workshop opportunity

Ana Eguiguren anaeguibur at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 12:14:39 PDT 2018

*Volunteer program with Proyecto CETACEA on humpback whales *

Hi All,

Proyecto CETACEA, in association with Universidad San Francisco de Quito
(Ecuador) is dedicated to the research and conservation of humpback whales
that visit the northern coasts off Ecuador, since 2006.

Between June and September, we study the demography and bioacoustics of
humpback whales so that we can better understand their population dynamics
and behaviour and inform conservation actions in the region.

As we do every year, we offer volunteering opportunities for people
interested in assisting in fieldwork and learn about cetacean research. Our
volunteer program includes the following benefits:

·         Participate in approximately 4 field trips lasting between 3-5
hrs per week

·         Assist in behavioural, social, and photo-id data collection

·         Assist in song recording

·         Participate and contribute to existing environmental education
projects in the community

Proyecto CETACEA is funded primarily through volunteer contributions. We
ask for a weekly contribution of 290 to covers the cost of transportation
from Quito to the field site, fieldtrips (gas and vessel captain), stay at
Hostería El Acantilado, food, and a one-time only 200 contribution to cover
project administration.

If you are interested, please contact Dr. Judith Denkinger
jdenkinger at usfq.edu.ec for more information.

Please attach a short interest letter, CV, and potential assistance dates
by May 10, 2018.

*Research workshop on humpback whales with Proyecto CETACEA*

As a part of our research project, we also offer training opportunity for
those who wish to gain more experience in cetacean research methods. Two
one-week training sessions will take place in June. During this time,
trainees will assist in up to 4 field trips, assist in data collection,
song recording, and data analysis using specific software for photo-id
(I3s), bioacoustics (Raven Pro), and basic statistics and spatial analysis
(R).

Tentative dates:

Workshop 1: June 16- June 22

Workshop 2: June 23 – June 29

Cost: 720 USD –includes the cost of transportation from Quito to the field
site, fieldtrips (gas and vessel captain), stay at Hostería El Acantilado,
food, project administration, and specific training. If interested, please
contact aeguigurenb at usfq.edu.ec and ecujavier10 at gmail.com with a short
interest letter, CV, and attendance dates by May 10, 2018.

Thanks for your time!
best,

Ana Eguiguren