[MARMAM] Internship opportunity in the Azores, Pico Island: June- September 2018

Nova Atlantis oceanwatch at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 01:07:29 PDT 2018

Internship opportunity in the Azores, Pico Island: June- September 2018

The Nova Atlantis Foundation (www.nova-atlantis.org
<http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nova-atlantis.org%2F&h=CAQGmg5FoAQEtAnnouiixExrinzFS9DZg5qgb-ltZUdNyCA&enc=AZPvOcwjNEBjCyihbUtGjv6Jox_lzD_bzMj9Fa1mJq9v-T38WQgxnJnGm417KiQFvW8C5fCQWRF7oCtrXvIGfYcfcCe1BsQ1vGs90jV5jbG86WpVShk1w99VIRxNeDNoJyha12wzx-eiipB1kKN5334iMkH9pmZMhtrPfzj2_yAiBs-mSUazLo-qzeRodWMzs4NGxpLxuS2eX0efzMO55S5f&s=1>)
is preparing its 19th fieldwork season, dedicated to studying the social
ecology of the Risso´s dolphin around Pico island. Next to the continuation
of the Risso project we will conduct cetacean monitoring surveys, focusing
on the deep diving species such as pilot whales and beaked whales. Pico
island is an excellent area to learn and gain experience at sea and to
observe over 15 species of cetaceans during the summer season.

We are seeking volunteers and/or (biology) students for the period June to
September. Candidates should be available for at least 2 months. We may
make exceptions for potential participants to apply for a shorter
placement. Volunteers must be self-motivated, with the drive and
determination to work independently and responsibly, and with a true
interest in marine conservation and animal behaviour.

The internship includes:

- An intensive training on monitoring protocol,

cetacean identification and data processing

- Sea-surveys (using a drone) and land based data collection

- Data processing

- Additional work e.g. boat cleaning and preparation,

maintenance of the observation post (cutting weeds).

The 2-month internship requires a payment of 750 € to cover running field
work costs.

Expenses for travelling to and from the field worksite, accommodation and
food are not included in this fee. The Nova Atlantis Foundation offers
accommodation in collaboration with a local family in Santa Cruz das
Ribeiras (175 EUR per month, all inclusive-ex food). Interns are free to
find their own accommodation in the Ribeiras area as well.

Fieldwork is highly weather dependent and requires consecutive long days of
work at sea and from land. On a typical field day, we split the team in a
land crew and a sea crew and work in shifts allowing all to rotate and gain
experience in several methodologies. We use rough weather days for data
entry or as a day off.

Application deadline is the 21 th of April, 2017.

To apply please send a short letter (state which period you prefer) and a
short CV to: oceanwatch at gmail.com.

--

Karin Hartman
Nova Atlantis Foundation