[MARMAM] New reports on beaked whales (Bachara, Wojtek)

Wojtek Bachara wojtek.bachara at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 00:58:23 PDT 2017

Dear Readers,

My coauthors and I are pleased to announce that some our beaked whale
reports are available
on my academia.edu page:
http://independent.academia.edu/WojtekBachara

If for any reason you cannot access it, feel free to contact me at
ziphiid at gmail.com

Bachara, W. and Øien, N. 2017. Stranding records of Cuvier’s beaked
whales (*Ziphius
cavirostris*) in Norway.
Unpublished report to Cetal Fauna. Report WB2017/2. 2 pp.

*Abstract*
Cuvier's beaked whales have a cosmopolitan distribution and can be found in
most oceans and seas worldwide.
Most of the distribution information is based on stranding records. Here we
report two stranding records from Norway, including the first record from
this country.

Bachara, W. 2017. A stranding record of a Cuvier’s beaked whale (*Ziphius
cavirostris*) in Chagos Archipelago, BIOT.
Unpublished report to Cetal Fauna. Report no.1. 3 pp.

*Abstract*
Cuvier’s beaked whale the only member of the genus Ziphius, is the most
widely distributed of all the beaked whales.
Most of the distribution information is based on stranding records.
Strandings in the Indian Ocean are very rare and a report from Chagos
Archipelago is presented here.

Bachara, W. and Matthews, B. 2016. First stranding record of a Blainville’s
beaked whale (*Mesoplodon densirostris*) on Norfolk Island.
Unpublished report to Cetal Fauna. Report WB2016/3. 3 pp.

*Abstract*
The beaked whales of the Norfolk Island region of the southwestern Pacific
are still poorly known. Based on
some sightings and one stranding, Norfolk Island waters lie within the
range of the Blainville’s beaked whale.

Bachara, W. and Barreiros, J. P. 2016. Stranding of four Sowerby’s beaked
whales (*Mesoplodon bidens)* in Terceira, Azores.
Unpublished report to Cetal Fauna. Report WB2016/3. 3pp.

*Abstract*
Sowerby's beaked whales are little known members of the beaked whale family
(*Ziphiidae*). Based on data collected from strandings,
this species is found in temperate and subarctic waters in the eastern and
western North Atlantic. A very rare stranding record, involving four
juvenile animals, found dead in the Azores, is here reported.

Bachara, W. and Gullan, A. 2016. First stranding record of a True’s beaked
whale (*Mesoplodon mirus)* in Mozambique.
Unpublished report to Cetal Fauna. Report WB2016/1. 4 pp.

*Abstract*
True's Beaked Whales are found in cool temperate, deep oceanic waters. This
species has a uniquely disjunct distribution, occurring in the northern
North Atlantic Ocean, as well as the southern regions of the Atlantic,
Indian and Pacific Oceans.
Sightings of the species are very rare and it is mainly known from
strandings. In the southern hemisphere a stranding hot spot is South
Africa. Here we report two records from Mozambique, including the first
stranding record for this country.

Bachara, W., Laria, L. and Lopez, A. 2016. First stranding record of a
Sowerby’s beaked whale (*Mesoplodon bidens*) in Asturias, Spain.
Unpublished report to Cetal Fauna. Report WB2016/2. 3pp.

* Abstract*
Sowerby’s beaked whale is known mainly from strandings. Here we present one
record from northern Spain- a first stranding record from Asturias and a
shortest calf of the species ever reported (total length: 125 cm).

Best regards,
Wojtek

http://independent.academia.edu/WojtekBachara