[MARMAM] New publication on two-component calls in short-finned pilot whales

Nicola Quick, Ph.D. nicola.quick at duke.edu
Mon Oct 30 11:08:48 PDT 2017

Dear all,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the online publication of our recent article
Quick, N.J., Callahan, H. and Read, A.J. (2017). Two-component calls in short-finned pilot whales (Globicephala macrorhynchus). Marine Mammal Science. DOI: 10.1111/mms.12452

The publication can be accessed here http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/mms.12452/full

Abstract
Short-finned pilot whales (Globicephala macrorhynchus) have complex vocal repertoires that include calls with two time-frequency contours known as two-component calls. We attached digital acoustic recording tags (DTAGs) to 23 short-finned pilot whales off Cape Hatteras, North Carolina, and assessed the similarity of two-component calls within and among tags. Two-component calls made up <3% of the total number of calls on 19 of the 23 tag records. For the remaining four tags, two-component calls comprised 9%, 23%, 24%, and 57% of the total calls recorded. Measurements of six acoustic parameters for both the low and high frequency components of all two-component calls from the five tags were compared using a generalized linear model. There were significant differences in the acoustic parameters of two-component calls between tags, verifying that acoustic parameters were more similar for two-component calls recorded on the same tag than for calls between tags. Spectrograms of all two-component calls from the five tags were visually graded and independently categorized by five observers. A test of inter-rater reliability showed substantial agreement, suggesting that each tag contained a predominant two-component call type that was not shared across tags.

Please contact me directly if you have any questions
Thanks
Nicola

Dr Nicola J. Quick
Research Scientist