[MARMAM] New publication on alliance formation among Indo-Pacific bottlenose dolphins in Japan

西田美紀 miki.nishita at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 21:44:17 PDT 2017

Dear all,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the new publication on alliance
formation among Indo-Pacific bottlenose dolphins in Japan:

Nishita, M., Shirakihara, M., Iwasa, N., & Amano, M. 2017. “Alliance
Formation of Indo-Pacific Bottlenose Dolphins (*Tursiops aduncus*) off
Amakusa, Western Kyushu, Japan.” *Mammal Study* 42: 125–30.

Abstract: Indo-Pacific bottlenose dolphins (*Tursiops aduncus*) off
Amakusa-Shimoshima, approximately 200 individuals, form relatively large
groups frequently exceeding 100 individuals and show high site fidelity to
the area around Tsuji Island, northern coast of Amakusa-Shimoshima. This
suggests that individual dolphins may have long interaction times with many
other individuals. Consequently, competition between males is likely to be
high and formation of alliances may be expected. However, this has not yet
been confirmed. With photo-identification data collected between 2010 and
2014, we examined individual associations. Pairs of males formed
significantly non-random associations for multiple years, and were seen
surrounding females, many of whom were considered to be receptive at that
time. Our results suggest that male Indo-Pacific bottlenose dolphins form
alliances in this population, where dolphins form large groups and show
high site-fidelity.

This article can be found at:

http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.3106/041.042.0302

Best regards,

Miki Nishita

Miki Nishita Ph. D

Graduate School of Fisheries and Environmental Sciences
Nagasaki University
1-14 Bunkyo-machi, Nagasaki 852-8521, Japan

e-mail:miki.nishita at gmail.com