[MARMAM] The Marine Mammal Center is recruiting for the winter 2018 Science and research internship
Fontainec at TMMC.org
Mon Oct 30 14:35:48 PDT 2017
TMMC Science and Research Internship
The Science Department at TMMC is seeking applicants for an unpaid internship position in our research division for the winter 2018 season. Please see below for a brief description and responsibilities but for more information please go to our website (http://www.marinemammalcenter.org/Get-Involved/volunteer/internship-opportunities/research-internship.html).
The Science and Research Internship is available at our main hospital in Sausalito.
Some of the projects the successful candidate may participate in are:
1. Assist with necropsies: Necropsies are performed on all animals that don't survive during treatment at the center. Depending on the case, some necropsies require a significant amount of sampling. Primary responsibilities will include: assisting with necropsy sample collection, data collection, archiving samples, stocking necropsy lab, and clean up.
2. Data entry and cleaning: The goal of this project is to improve data integrity, standardization, and volume in the Veterinary Science Department's databases (FileMaker Pro). These data include animal care and medical records, diagnostic results, specimen tracking information, and stranding and disposition details. Intern tasks may include entry of respective data from hard-copy records and data checking and cleaning.
3. Specimen archive project: This project will focus on tracking and optimizing the storage of archived specimens collected from live and dead marine mammals. Intern duties will primarily include: freezer inventory.
4. Library project: This project involves cataloging scientific publications into TMMC's hardcopy and electronic libraries. Intern duties will primarily include: reference entry using EndNote X, restocking hardcopy reprints, and scanning hardcopy publications.
In addition, the intern will assist with other duties within the Science Department as needed.
* All applicants must be 21 years of age or older and engaged or recently completed undergraduate studies.
* A background or degree in Biology, Marine Biology, Ecology, Conservation or a related field.
* Computer proficiency, especially with Microsoft Office Suite.
* Exceptional attention to detail.
* Comfortable hiking 5 miles and lifting 50 lbs.
* There is no compensation for this internship position and the successful applicant will be responsible for their own living and transportation expenses during the time of the internship. The location of the Marine Mammal Center will require you to have a car or bike as there is no alternative transportation to the Marin Headlands due to how secluded the location is.
* If the intern intends to receive university credit for their internship, they are responsible for making all arrangements with their educational institution.
Senior Research Assistant
The Marine Mammal Center
2000 Bunker Rd
Sausalito, CA 94965
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM