[MARMAM] 2018 Living Seas Volunteer Positions Avaliable at Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre, New Quay, West Wales

CBMWC info at cbmwc.org
Mon Oct 23 07:02:27 PDT 2017

The Wildlife Trust of South and West Wales is looking for dedicated and
enthusiastic individuals to join our Living Seas volunteer team at Cardigan
Bay Marine Wildlife Centre (CBMWC). Volunteers will gain valuable experience
whilst helping us to collect data on the marine wildlife of Cardigan Bay,
man our visitor centre and inspire visitors and the public through community
engagement activities.

About CBMWC

The Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre is a non-profit organisation based
in New Quay, west Wales, UK. Since 1996 we have been dedicated to raising
awareness of the local marine environment through education and research.
Using boat-based and land-based surveys, photo-ID and acoustic studies we
monitor bottlenose dolphin, harbour porpoise and Atlantic grey seal
populations in the Cardigan Bay Special Area of Conservation (SAC) and wider
Irish Sea. We also run a busy visitor centre as well as our Discovery Room
which offers marine educational and awareness raising activities for
families, schools and groups. In April 2015 we became part of the Wildlife
Trust of South and West Wales (WTSWW) and we deliver the Trusts Living Seas
programme.

What You Will Gain

Volunteering for the Wildlife Trust of South and West Wales at CBMWC is a
fantastic opportunity for you to make a positive contribution to marine
conservation and meet new people who share your interests. You will learn
about the species and habitats in Cardigan Bay, gain experience in field
work, research methods, data processing, public awareness and education
programmes. The data you collect will contribute to long running research
studies on bottlenose dolphin site usage, abundance, photo-identification
and acoustic studies. Past volunteers have gone on to further education,
work as Marine Mammal Observers and to work for other conservation or
Government organisations.

The volunteer programme at CBMWC has received national recognition after
achieving the Investing in Volunteers Award (IiV), the UK's quality standard
for volunteer management, in January 2017. We provide a fantastic volunteer
experience!

Volunteer Roles

We have a number of opportunities available for the 2018 field season.

Living Seas Volunteers
<https://www.welshwildlife.org/visitor-centres/cardigan-bay-marine-wildlife-
centre/volunteer/livingseas-volunteers/>

Living Seas Volunteers will assist with the delivery of our Living Seas
research and engagement objectives and are required for specific periods
from 12th March to 5th November 2018.

Block A - 12th March - 16th April (5 weeks)

Block B - 16th April - 14th May (4 weeks)

Block C - 14th May - 9th July (8 weeks)

Block D - 9th July - 3rd September (8 weeks)

Block E - 3rd September - 5th November (9 weeks)

Living Seas Research Assistant
<https://www.welshwildlife.org/visitor-centres/cardigan-bay-marine-wildlife-
centre/volunteer/research-assistant/>

The Research Assistant will assist the Living Seas Science Officer with a
range of research projects including data collection, assisting with
research equipment maintenance and data analysis. This role is for the full
field season from 12th March to 5th November 2018.

ShoreFin Volunteer
<https://www.welshwildlife.org/visitor-centres/cardigan-bay-marine-wildlife-
centre/volunteer/shorefin-volunteers/>

The volunteers will be responsible for the ShoreFin project, conducting
bottlenose dolphin photo ID, data analysis and writing the annual ShoreFin
report. This role is for the full field season from 12th March to 5th
November 2018.

SeaSeal Volunteer
<https://www.welshwildlife.org/visitor-centres/cardigan-bay-marine-wildlife-
centre/volunteer/seal-photo-id/>

The volunteers will be responsible for the SeaSeal project, conducting
Atlantic grey seal surveys, photo ID, data analysis and writing the annual
SeaSeal report. This role is for the full field season from 12th March to
5th November 2018.

Living Seas Education Volunteer
<https://www.welshwildlife.org/visitor-centres/cardigan-bay-marine-wildlife-
centre/volunteer/living-seas-education-volunteer/>

The volunteer will assist with the delivery of our Living Seas community
engagement and education objectives. This role is for the full field season
from 12th March to 5th November 2018.

For more information on each role and details on how to apply then please
visit our website
https://www.welshwildlife.org/visitor-centres/cardigan-bay-marine-wildlife-c
entre/volunteer/

The closing date for applications is 23:59pm on Sunday 14th January 2018

For futher information please contact Laura Evans on 01545 560224 or
volunteer at cbmwc.org

Wildlife Trust of South and West Wales

Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre,

Ffon/Phone: 01545 560224