[MARMAM] Last-minute call for internship with CIIMAR-MADEIRA

Rita Ferreira ritabferreira at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 07:07:00 PDT 2017

Dear all,

We have a last minute opening for ONE internship in FALL SEASON – November
& December 2017 in Project CETUS-Madeira, for conducting surveys onboard a
ferry boat in Madeira Island.

CIIMAR-Madeira is a private, non-profit organization based in Madeira
Island, Portugal. It is a unique organization specialized on insular
environments, which is currently involved in the development of fundamental
and applied scientific research, both in atmospheric and marine sciences.
For more information about CIIMAR-Madeira and our research please visit
http://home.ciimarmadeira.org/

Internship Details:

The interns will be enrolled in data collection onboard ferries with a
fixed route between Madeira Island and Porto Santo Island. Food on board is
provided. These positions are unpaid but we encourage candidates to seek
grants where we can post as host institution. In order to cover for
logistic expenses, there is a monthly fee of 75eur. Non-European candidates
must cover their own insurance expenses.

Internship description:

- An intensive training on monitoring protocol, cetacean identification and
data processing and analysis;

- Sea surveys Madeira-Porto Santo;

- Data processing and analysis;

- Educational activities in local schools or to the general public (when
possible);

- Free time to visit Madeira and Porto Santo;

- Accident insurance.

Successful applicants should possess or be enrolled in a BS or MS course in
biology or related, be reliable, dedicated, adaptable and patient, as this
work is highly weather dependent and requires consecutive days of work at
sea. If you are an undergraduate or graduate student interested in pursuing
a career in marine mammal research, this is an excellent opportunity to
learn and gain experience at sea.

If you are interested in interning with CIIMAR-Madeira, please send a CV
and a letter of interest to rita.ferreira at oom.arditi.pt. The deadline is
next Monday 9th October.

Cheers,

Rita Ferreira, MsC