[MARMAM] Internship opportunity with Mote Marine Lab Stranding Investigations Program

Gretchen Lovewell glovewell at mote.org
Tue Oct 3 06:15:23 PDT 2017

Mote's Stranding Investigations Program provides response to reports of
marine mammal and sea turtle strandings 24-hours a day, seven days a
week. Our response area is within the coastal waters of central
southwest Florida. The program offers logistical support and assistance
to state biologists in the verification, rescue and recovery of sick,
injured or dead manatees. Live and dead cetaceans (whales and dolphins)
and sea turtles are rescued and/or recovered and transported to Mote for
rehabilitation or detailed post-mortem examination.

Interns will assist in responding to stranding calls, documenting
stranding events and collecting samples and data. Interns will also
assist researchers and program staff with other projects, such as sample
processing, assisting in the Ruth DeLynn Cetacean Osteological
Collection and general maintenance of stranding equipment. This position
will involve both laboratory and field work assisting in the recovery
and examination live and dead stranded animals. The majority of stranded
animals reported are dead, beach-cast animals. Stranding response often
occurs after hours and weekends, so interns should be prepared to work
outside of normal business hours. Basic skills required are the ability
to work independently, lift 50 pounds comfortably, follow procedural
instructions and collect and record detailed information. Field and
laboratory work will involve strenuous working conditions, including
working in close proximity to and assisting with the sampling of large
dead animals.

In office 5 days per week (including at least one weekend day), 8 hours
per day (with occasional longer hours).

If you're interested, please begin your application process here:
https://mote.org/research/internships/college-internship-program-overview
and email glovewell at mote.org and rhazelkorn at mote.org.   The deadline on
the website has passed, but we have extended it for our program. We are
looking for interns to start in December 2017 or January 2018.

--
Gretchen Lovewell
Program Manager

We are an independent, nonprofit, marine and estuarine
research and education facility.
Opinions expressed here are not MML policy unless so indicated.